BFT 147 Discussion

mjzee

Typing on at belt and doing this w/Dad. Comments may be terse because of typing. 

Track 01 - go-go dancing. Not feeling this. Wish it was Gary Bartz, but it's not. 

Track 02 - better. Sounds like Ibrahim to me, so I love it.  I'm going Horace Alexander Young on alto. I could listen to this all day. 

Track 03 - uh, no idea.  I'll pass. 

Track 04 - I'm in on this one. Not sure who it is. 

Track 05 - no idea, not sure where I'm at on this. 

Track 06 - that's Dirty Dozen Brass Band. 

Track 07 - no idea, but I have my ace in the hole (taking this with my Dad).  Sounds tributey to me, not OF the period. 

Track 08 - Art Farmer. ditty.  The Summer Knows. Smiling Billy on drums.  

Track 09 - not sure. Like it but that's a doubler on flute.  

Track 10 - a very good year. Dad guesses Big John Patton. I can't argue. 

Track 11 - this is cool. Burly tenor -- Nice. Ike. Dad got him first. Dad guesses Grant Green, but I'm skeptical. 

Track 12 - we have a guess of Pettiford on cello.  Julius Watkins on French horn. Okay, Dad says Phil Urso on tenor.  Now he is backtracking on Pettiford. 

Track 13 - Lucky!  "Dancing Sun Beam album... Jimmy Cleveland, I think... Pettiford [matter of factly]". Those are Dad's thoughts. I'd have gotten Lucky, but not that quickly.  Hank Jones. 

Track 14 - seven come eleven. The unemployment stick. Bob Wilbur is Dad's guess. Different soprano comes in. Dad's guess is Kenny DeBurn and he thinks this is Bob's soprano summit group.  What the hell is the keyboard doing there?

Track 15 - sounds like Scofield to me.  Almost sounds like Eddie Harris. Yes, it is. No idea what this is. 

1 hour ago, Spontooneous said:

Now I'm fixated on that "Sunny Side of the Street" (which I like very much).  I thought Hadda Brooks, I thought Una Mae Carlisle, and now I'm just out of guesses.  Is the singer also doing the eight bars of tapping?  Is the singer someone more widely known as a dancer or comedian?

The singer is doing the tapping.  I did not know of the singer, but she was of enough historical importance to merit a New York Times obituary upon her passing.  Another oddity about the recording is that there are two pianos.