All Music Guide

Last night, I experienced the same thing. In my case, that page appeared because I was running an ad-blocker extension in my web-browser (Chrome).  When I disabled the ad-blocker specifically for the allmusic.com domain, then the pop-up page disappeared.  

Of course, then a bunch of ads started appearing on the site -- "Buy a Cadillac!!!" -- but I guess that's the price you pay for free access to the site.

...Don't think it's malware. Just the allmusic site insisting that your eyeballs have access to their revenue-generating ads.

Edited by HutchFan

On 6/7/2016 at 9:05 AM, HutchFan said:

Last night, I experienced the same thing. In my case, that page appeared because I was running an ad-blocker extension in my web-browser (Chrome).  When I disabled the ad-blocker specifically for the allmusic.com domain, then the pop-up page disappeared.  

Of course, then a bunch of ads started appearing on the site -- "Buy a Cadillac!!!" -- but I guess that's the price you pay for free access to the site.

...Don't think it's malware. Just the allmusic site insisting that your eyeballs have access to their revenue-generating ads.

I would be very wary of sites that force you to disable your ad blocker before viewing any content. It's not only possible to have malware injected via ads, it's already happening:

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20160111/05574633295/forbes-site-after-begging-you-turn-off-adblocker-serves-up-steaming-pile-malware-ads.shtml

This is why I quit reading Forbes entirely. There are a handful of sites (like this one) that I don't run an ad blocker on, but for all others, if I'm required to turn it off in order to access the site, then I won't be accessing the site. 

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

for ad blocker, i use Adblock Plus. went to allmusic, right clicked on Adblock Plus and told it not to run when on the allmusic site (right click on adblock plus to do this). everything's been fine since, but i rarely go to that site. discogs.com is quickly surpassing the usufulness of allmusic for me. and it doesn't have a million advertisements on every single page.

https://adblockplus.org/

Hi I p, I've tried what you've advised, but it doesn't make a difference for me. I still can't acces the website. Yes, I do go to discogs as well, a great website!. Sometimes, however, I want to search for a certain song, or need to know who the musicians are on an album, and allmusic used to be great to find facts like that.
Well, tough luck.
Kind regards, page

9 hours ago, page said:

Hi I p, I've tried what you've advised, but it doesn't make a difference for me. I still can't acces the website. Yes, I do go to discogs as well, a great website!. Sometimes, however, I want to search for a certain song, or need to know who the musicians are on an album, and allmusic used to be great to find facts like that.
Well, tough luck.
Kind regards, page

could try: disable your old adblocker if you now have Adblock Plus. go to allmusic site, and close your browser. repeat this several times. for some reason it took me a couple or several visits to allmusic for that site to see that i no longer had adblocker engaged on its' site.