Clifford Brown in California

JamesAHarrod

The latest post to my jazz research blog examines Clifford Brown's arrival in California in 1954 and the genesis of the Max Roach/Clifford Brown Quintet including club dates, concerts, and recording sessions for Gene Norman, Bob Shad, and Dick Bock. Nailed down many dates that have floated for years in the discography literature.

http://jazzwestcoastresearch.blogspot.com/2016/06/clifford-brown-in-california-gene.html

Transcribing Bobby Bradford's comments could not do justice to his oral description of that experience hearing Clifford Brown. It was also difficult to put into words his vocalization of Max's drumming, or the growl he emitted to describe Clifford's attack on the trumpet. Thanks for your kind words.

Edited by JamesAHarrod
Added a few words.

Taking a stab at answering your question, the jam session in September of 1953 that was recorded by Cecil Spiller and released years later when Ed Michel was working at Fantasy marked a turnover in personnel at the Lighthouse. Shorty Rogers, Jimmy Giuffre, and Shelly Manne departed. My guess is that Shelly was not interested in a regular job that required a long commute from his home in Northridge. At that point in time and for many years, Shelly was THE drummer in demand in Los Angeles. Like his days "chopping wood" for Kenton, keeping time behind Howard Rumsey was a chore.

I have made some additions and corrections to the blog. After adding details from the GNP compact disc reissues I realized that I should do the same for the EmArcy sessions.