Gene's been a Torontonian for four decades, adding his wide experience to our music scene.  He has a fantastic memory, and has prepared his memoirs with writer Jack Batten, a long-time Toronto jazz critic.  And you can read it for free!  I've just been through the first few chapters and it seems that we're just sitting at a table and chatting.

Here's Gene's invitation:

Over the years so many of you have asked when I was going to write a book.   Well a memoir has now been written about my life and times and music by the wonderful Jack Batten.

I spoke.  He wrote.

And now I have put it on the web through WATTPAD.    The Book is called   "I Can Hear the Music, The Life and Times of Gene DiNovi".  In addition to Jack's eloquent prose, it includes many memorable photographs from my personal collection.   Here is the link :  https://www.wattpad.com/genedinovi
Wattpad does ask you to register but there is no cost and once you have signed up you can read for Free.

2 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

Enjoying the book so far, but for some reason the site it's on won't let me continue to read past chapter 12.

Larry, you're well ahead of me...haven't had that problem.  You do have to sign up to read it, but you must have done that to get to Chapter 12...

2 hours ago, Balladeer said:

Thanks for your notice. I´m interested in the book. Maybe you can let me know when it´s on the market. 

I don't know if it will ever be in print.  I know that lots of people don't want to read from a screen, but to this point it's the only way to get it.

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't started the book yet, but plan to do so. Gene had a regular gig for a few years in Niagara-On-The-Lake, Ontario. That is where the Shaw Theatre Festival is held every summer. When we lived in Rochester, NY we would go every year for a few days. Had a chance to see/hear Gene play at a club there a few times.

We hung out together and Gene invited us one evening to a home of a friend where we talked for quite some time. Have fond memories of that experience, though I don't recall the topics we discussed.