Wayne Shorter live recordings

docwilko

Hi there,

I've been listening to some live broadcasts of Wayne Shorter's quartet (and the Herbie / Wayne touring group of 2004), some of them with the BBC Concert Orchestra, and I'm trying to clarify some of the material they play / work around / touch upon.  The BBC in the UK have made some great recordings of this group since 2001 (2006 is my 5* recommendation), but they often jumble or confuse the titles of the compositions.  Is Wayne served by any reliable discographers in this regard?

Most of the folk posting on You Tube recordings of the Herbie - Wayne group seem to mistake Prometheus Unbound for Aung San Suu Kyi, and I remain unconvinced by the identification of one piece on the setlist (played in London, but only broadcast on the repeat 'full' show) as having anything to with the Visitor From Somewhere / Nowhere pieces from "1 + 1".

Can anyone help?

docwilko

PS I first heard this group in the flesh in London in 2008, and the first medley lasted a full hour.  Does anyone have a recording of that one?

9 hours ago, docwilko said:

PS I first heard this group in the flesh in London in 2008, and the first medley lasted a full hour.  Does anyone have a recording of that one?

As long as this is intended to ask "does a recording of this event exist" and not "can somebody hook me up with a copy?", it will not be considered a violation of forum rules prohibiting overt solicitation of unofficially issued performances of officially copywrited material.

Going forth, though, please take note and proceed accordingly. :)

Thanks for the clarification.  The question would be: was the opening medley (really) an hour long, and the supplementary would be: which couple of tunes did it comprise?

And the main thrust was indeed whether there's anyone or anyplace comparing and/or analysing these peformances?

Thanks again for guidance.

Most of the quartet's concerts are being officially recorded. Why Blue Note does not issue these regularly, if only as downloads, is a mystery.

It is almost impossible now to identify the components of the medleys. They always bring books of music to the stage but it is not clear how much they use.

This would be a great topic for a doctoral dissertation. Lots of work there.

Bertrand.