Essential jazz photography/cover art books?

5) Joachim E. Berendt and William Claxton. Jazz Life. Published in Germany in 1961. The German Jazz critic and Claxton went on a "jazz tour" through the States, capturing everything from New Orleans street parades to bebop, jazz festivals, etc. There are some shots which are also in the Claxton (Taschen) above, but to get the complete trip here is just wonderful. The reproductions are good (on cheap and rather thin paper ... meaning inevitable edge browning) and Berendt's notes are captivating.

Is there a Roland Kirk photograph in this book?

The Leonard limited edition of Jazz Memories is stunning ... but out of my price range. The standard edition I'm looking for used. http://www.hermanleonard.com/limited.htm ($495 ... ouch)

Thanks!

I've seen signed copies of the standard edition for $100. (I got one at a photo gallery.) In fact I've never seen one unsigned. You've done very well finding them reduced or used. The first one I bought was Claxton's "Jazz". I kept telling my friends and family I wanted it for Xmas or my birthday but to no avail. Finally bought it for myself but by then it was 2nd edition.

However, much to my surprise and delight, someone for whom I'd done a favour repaid me by giving me Herman Leonard's "In Memoriam" portfolio. Later I bought a print of his famous portrait of Dexter. The print I regret not buying was the Wolff photo of Coltrane that was in the first batch that Mosaic sold. It's cropped on the cover of Blue Trane. Finally I found a poster of it on E-bay.

Medjuck,

The portfolio you are speaking of is a very nice collection of Herman's work and was quite pricing and limited in quantity. I believe that Quincy Jones literally bought about 1/3 of the available sets to give as gifts. I believe you can still get a print of Coltrane that you are referring to, through Mosaic; I bought one several years ago. I think each of the images they are selling are limited to 50 copies, but I don't believe any of them have actually sold that many.

Mark

The run of 50 prints of the John Coltrane photo ran out, according to one of the Mosaic brochures. The price for the 11" by 14" was $500 each. Each print was numbered. The Mosaic brochure that accompanied the release of the first 3 Wolff photos prints (Coltrane, Art Blakey and Sonny Rollins) indicated that 3,000 posters of all three photos were released, at $40 each.

I was in a used bookstore near my home this morning and spotted the following for sale:

~The Cover Art of Blue Note Volume 1 ($12.00)

~50 Years of Atlantic Records (very thick, lots of jazz, hardback, about $38.00)

~Black Beauty, White Heat (7 copies, $10.00)

~William Claxton, Jazz (softcover with Chet Baker on the cover) $12.00

~Dennis Stock, Made in the USA (Has many nice b+w jazz photographs $15.00).

~Roy DeCarava, The sounds I saw (Hardback, $35.00)

In the event anyone is interested or can't find them elsewhere, I'd be glad to pick one (or two) up for you.

Mark