Mood music?

danasgoodstuff

So I look at the Blue Note description, and prepare to make a snarky comment.  Then I see a Jimmy Giuffre composition and Gabor Szabo's "Lady Gabor" in the titles, and I reconsider.  Then I  see Arto Lindsay, Sonic Youth and Annette Peacock with writer credits and all those string players, and remember that I never have liked anything else I've ever heard by Cline, and I  decide to make the snarky comment anyways.  Jim and I  are the same age, so I suspect I'm also too old for this.  Had this nightmare where, at Ike Quebec's instigation in 1962, Blue Note dropped Jackie McLean from their roster so that  they could concentrate on wider distribution for Dodo Greene's 'My Hour of Need'.

1 hour ago, jazzbo said:

The trio portion of the "Beautiful Love" tune is interesting. . . not sure I could take a whole two albums of this with orchestration dolloped on top. . . . 

I liked his Andrew Hill themed album. Hmmm.

I just bought New Monastery too. Bobby Bradford, Ben Goldberg, etc. It's really good IMHO.

• 1 month later...

The best of Nils Cline that I heard is on this album

0655035400129.jpg

It's a song by song interpretation of Willie Nelson classic, and, imho, it's more interesting listening than the original (sorry, Willie, but you might agree). Could be one of my desert island picks- it's that good.

I also like his side work with Tim Berne (7-X & The Veil), not that much his solo work. I have his Andrew Hill tribute but won't ditch any of AH albums for it if bound for space. Willing to trade it if anyone is interested.

Edited by mandrill

3 hours ago, mandrill said:

The best of Nils Cline that I heard is on this album

0655035400129.jpg

It's a song by song interpretation of Willie Nelson classic, and, imho, it's more interesting listening than the original (sorry, Willie, but you might agree). Could be one of my desert island picks- it's that good.

I also like his side work with Tim Berne (7-X & The Veil), not that much his solo work. I have his Andrew Hill tribute but won't ditch any of AH albums for it if bound for space. Willing to trade it if anyone is interested.

Thanks, wasn't away of this RHS homage.