Drummer Randy Jones -- R.I.P.

duaneiac

Chris Brubeck reported on his Facebook page that drummer Randy Jones passed away on Monday.  Mr. Jones had once been in Maynard Ferguson's band, but will perhaps be best remembered as the drummer in the Dave Brubeck Quartet for some 35 years, up until the time when Dave Brubeck retired from performing.  Mr. Jones was the longest serving member of any version of the DBQ.  May he Rest In Peace.

Edited by duaneiac

I heard him with Maynard, actually, 1974, and he knew how to play that band, that size, that concept. This was when the book mixed poppish and straight-ahead, with solo openings aplenty no matter which. He was never too heavy, never too light, just right. Kept it moving but never hogged the wheel. Joel DiBartolo was the bassist in that band, just before leaving for Buddy Rich, I think. Jones & DiBartolo seemed to be having fun together. For that matter, the whole band seemed to be having fun.

His work with Brubeck has had mixed reviews over the years, but if the bandleader liked him well enough to keep him on the gig for 35 years, hey. That's the opinion that matters.

RIP, and nicely played.

I saw Randy Jones with Dave Brubeck the only time I saw Brubeck perform.  The concert really opened my ears to Brubeck's music, and I remember being impressed by Jones' crisply swinging drumming (I was also impressed by fellow sidemen Bobby Militello and Michael Moore).  Rest in peace, Mr. Jones, and thank you for the music.