Sir Charles Thompson - RIP

Chuck Nessa

Sad news.  I have one special memory of Sir Charles - I attended a rehearsal of a group featuring Thompson  at a west London theatre and sat immediately behind him..  I was amazed that while accompanying the band he was reading a coffee table size book on golf strokes.  His playing was immaculate.  I have no recollection of the rest of the band.

Sad news.  I have one special memory of Sir Charles - I attended a rehearsal of a group featuring Thompson  at a west London theatre and sat immediately behind him..  I was amazed that while accompanying the band he was reading a coffee table size book on golf strokes.  His playing was immaculate.  I have no recollection of the rest of the band.

53 minutes ago, BillF said:

Time to give this one a spin:

513hOWIRu5L._SL500_AA240_.jpg?1239834600

+1

And his 50s VANGUARD recordings too! (Not to be slighted, those sessions ...)

RIP
(Had not figured he was still was around - and could it be that his name was constantly omitted when talk came up about those musicians still alive who had recorded with Bird?)

Edited by Big Beat Steve

1 hour ago, mikeweil said:

Same here - R.I.P. - his old friends at the heavenly jam session had to wait quite some time for him, which is not a bad thing.

And here they all are, Buck in military uniform in 1945, Dexter in a nice hat and Bird looking very healthy:

buck_clayton_charlie_parker_de.jpg

I first heard Sir Charles Thompson on Charlie Parker at Storyville.  In the years since, I've also enjoyed his playing on Buck Clayton's Complete CBS Jam Sessions Mosaic and the similarly wonderful Complete Master Jazz Piano Mosaic, as well as Ike Quebec's Complete Blue Note 45 Sessions (and maybe other albums, for that matter).  It's a shame that he didn't have a higher profile in recent years.  Thank you for the music, Mr. Thompson, and rest in peace.

Edited by Justin V

On ‎19‎.‎06‎.‎2016 at 5:04 PM, BillF said:

It's included in the booklet with the Takin' Off album.

wow, this high Studio ceiling is not (in my) takin´off Album! never see the whole Picture! only the musicians. but anyway i was also not Aware that sir charles was with us so Long. love his tunes and the way he accompaninemt the musicians during their solos!

Keep boppin´

marcel  

1 hour ago, bichos said:

wow, this high Studio ceiling is not (in my) takin´off Album! never see the whole Picture! only the musicians. but anyway i was also not Aware that sir charles was with us so Long. love his tunes and the way he accompaninemt the musicians during their solos!

Keep boppin´

marcel  

And, if we're going to be exact, the shot in the album booklet looks like it was taken a second or so before or after the one I've posted here.

His solo on Hawk's "Stuffy" from '45 said to the world, Yes, I Coleman Hawkins repent for saying "nothing" happened in jazz while I was away in Europe, because Count Basie's rhythm section.

Speaking of Vanguard's, "For the Ears with Coleman Hawkins" anyone? Haven't heard it!

58 minutes ago, Lazaro Vega said:

His solo on Hawk's "Stuffy" from '45 said to the world, Yes, I Coleman Hawkins repent for saying "nothing" happened in jazz while I was away in Europe, because Count Basie's rhythm section.

Speaking of Vanguard's, "For the Ears with Coleman Hawkins" anyone? Haven't heard it!

That fine date includes a favorite It's the Talk of the Town.

1 hour ago, Lazaro Vega said:

1 hour ago, Chuck Nessa said:

That fine date includes a favorite It's the Talk of the Town.

No idea where the above record (?) title comes from (it's neither on my UK 10inch release nor on my 12in reissue and the Goldmine guide does not list such a title either for the US Vanguard 10in releases either) but this must be the Aug. 16, 1954 session which includes both "It's the Talk of the Town" and "Fore!" etc. Am just spinning it now. Nice, very nice ... and as usual Sir Charles Thompson gives an effortless flow to it all.

BTW, the Vanguard session that produced the "For the Ears" track did not have Coleman Hawkins in the lineup. ;)

Edited by Big Beat Steve

Fifteen years ago I bought this one that brings together three Sir Charles sessions:

MI0001513107.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

It includes "Fore!" which is, of course, the golfer's beware cry and fits in nicely with JohnS's spotting Sir Charles reading a golf handbook while playing.:lol: Hawkins makes a sensational entry on this track which produces multiple cries of "Yeah!".

1 hour ago, BillF said:

Fifteen years ago I bought this one that brings together three Sir Charles sessions:

MI0001513107.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

It includes "Fore!" which is, of course, the golfer's beware cry and fits in nicely with JohnS's spotting Sir Charles reading a golf handbook while playing.:lol: Hawkins makes a sensational entry on this track which produces multiple cries of "Yeah!".

Probably the sessions EXCEPT the 1955 trio session, right? Seems like that latter one has not been served that well by easily acessible reissues.

Apart from that, the above reissue probably is the one Lazaro Vega saw mentioned. But again -  "For the Ears" and Coleman Hawkins is a confusing combination because this refers to two separate sessions.