Gene Ammons Prestige Sessions Needing Collating on CD

JSngry

• The session June 13, 1961 arranged by Oliver Nelson
  • The September 5, 1962 quartet session with Mal Waldron
  • The April 13, 1962 sessions w/Patti Bown & George Duvivier: (the totally gorgeous Moodsvill date was recorded the next day, with Ed Shaughnessy replacing Perkins...get it on the CD of Gentle Jug.

Gene Ammons Quartet

Gene Ammons (tenor sax) Patti Bown (piano) George Duvivier (bass) Walter Perkins (drums) Etta Jones (vcl)

Rudy Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, April 13, 1962
3482 But Not For Me (w/vcl) Prestige PRLP 7275, PRCD 24188-2
3483 If You Are But A Dream (w/vcl) Prestige PRLP 7275, PR 7443, PRCD 24155-2, PRCD 24188-2
3484 The Party's Over Prestige 45-319, PRLP 7287
3485 Cool, Cool Daddy (w/vcl) Prestige PRLP 7275, PRLP 7313, PRCD 24188-2
3486 Lascivious Prestige PRLP 7287
3487 Soft Winds -
3488 Scam Prestige PR 7400, PRCD 24266-2

* Prestige PRLP 7275   Gene Ammons/Etta Jones/Jack McDuff - Soul Summit, Vol. 2
= Prestige PRCD 24118-2   Gene Ammons/Sonny Stitt/Jack McDuff - Soul Summit
* Prestige PR 7443   Etta Jones' Greatest Hits
* Prestige PRLP 7287; Original Jazz Classics OJCCD 942-2   Gene Ammons - Late Hour Special
* Prestige PRLP 7313   The Prestige All Stars - Prestige/Groovy Goodies, Vol. 2
* Prestige PR 7400   Gene Ammons - Sock!
* Prestige PRCD 24155-2   Gene Ammons - Gentle Jug, Vol. 2
* Prestige PRCD 24266-2   Gene Ammons - A Stranger In Town
* Prestige 45-319   Gene Ammons - The Party's Over / I Want To Be Loved

• Of real interest - this 1970 Nat Cole tribute session with Wynton Kelly that was left in the can until 1988 (passed me by totally unnoticed, unfortunately) and is still not fully released on CD!!!! What I've heard on A Stranger In Town is solid like a mo.

Gene Ammons Quintet

Gene Ammons (tenor sax) Wynton Kelly (piano) George Duvivier (bass) Rudy Collins (drums) Pucho (congas -1)

Rudy Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, February 2, 1970
1. Calypso Blues Prestige PR 7862, PRCD 24266-2
2. Night Lights -
3. Nature Boy -
4. The Christmas Song Prestige PR 7862
5. The Christmas Song (alt. take) Prestige PR 24046
6. Sweet Lorraine Prestige PR 7862
7. Lush Life Prestige PR 7862, PRCD 24249-2

* Prestige PR 7862   Gene Ammons - Night Lights
* Prestige PR 24046   Various Artists - 25 Years Of Prestige
* Prestige PRCD 24266-2   Gene Ammons - A Stranger In Town
* Prestige PRCD 24249-2   Gene Ammons - Gentle Jug, Vol. 3

Anybody got any others?

Re: the Patti Bown recordings, there's also the October 17 and 18 1961 sessions all present but still not fully collated on the UP TIGHT! CD reissue. I believe said disc combines the Lps UP TIGHT and BOSS SOUL in their original running orders, alternating the Bown tracks with those featuring Walter Bishop Jr. on piano.

All of these Jug dates have confused me for decades -- the original LPs, the LP reissues, the twofer reissues, the CDs etc.  For a long time I kept a notebook in my car with everything I had written down so I could try and fill in gaps but it was still a mess. I would totally pay A LOT of money to have all of this material boxed in chronological order and smartly annotated. In fact, I'd like to have a go at writing those notes myself if someone wants to give me a chance ...

Edited by Mark Stryker

Serious question - is there a Gene Ammons family estate, even on paper, or do lawyers own it all? 'Cause I'm kinda like, if jazz is the bible, then Gene Ammons is Good News For Modern Man, now and forever, and c'mon, where is the necessary pimpage to get this thing out there like it needs to be?

I assume the Prestige recordings are owned by whoever owns all the other Prestige recordings -- which is to say whoever owns Concord, right? I don't think the Ammons estate, assuming it exists, would legally have any involvement in production of a box set, and the extent they were paid at all would be subject to the conditions of the original contracts, publishing etc. Chuck Nessa could clarify this for us: Who gets paid or would have control if Concord wanted to put out an Ammons Prestige box or if, say, Mosaic wanted to license the material?

Edited by Mark Stryker

I was thinking more in terms of who would be incentivized to create and sustain a name-recognition program. Say what you will about Robert Irving(?), he's keeping Miles' name alive in the general market consciousness. Same thing for Laurie Pepper, Woody III, and others.

Skin in the game, quite literally, as opposed to lawyer-manages assets waiting for licensing opportunities. Nothing wrong with that, just...you know.

But to the greater point, oh hell yeah, a comprehensive Gene Ammons collection, smartly annotated and designed, yes, that, all over the place that. SkketSkeetSkeet THAT.

I know Gene Ammons has/had a reverend brother. One of our Blue Lake groups was playing in Grand Rapids, and there was a religious convention going on, and a gentlemen walked up to the band and asked if we'd ever heard of Gene Ammons, then mentioned he was his brother. Said his name, but ages ago and I can't recall.....

Maybe this man: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edsel_Albert_Ammons

the facts that both were sons of Albert Ammons (as written in the wikipedia article) and that his daughter Lila is said to be the niece of GA (in her wiki article) is almost as good as wikipedia claiming the two were brother imho

• 2 months later...

OBO110X - I haven't got  Prestige PR 24046   Various Artists - 25 Years Of Prestige, which Jim referenced in the initial post.

Well, that's one Jug track of interest I haven't got. Damn, learn something every day.

Anyway, I HAVE collated the Mal Waldron 196s session because it always seemed to me to be a big mistake on Bob Weinstock's part to spilt it up over a bunch of other LPs. So I did it in 2008 ago and I've lived with it for eight years. It makes a cracking album! If anyone wants it, I'll happily bung you a copy to download. Now featuring my own amateurish sleeve design :)

MG

On ‎21‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 3:12 AM, Joe said:

Re: the Patti Bown recordings, there's also the October 17 and 18 1961 sessions all present but still not fully collated on the UP TIGHT! CD reissue. I believe said disc combines the Lps UP TIGHT and BOSS SOUL in their original running orders, alternating the Bown tracks with those featuring Walter Bishop Jr. on piano.

No. The CD of 'Up tight' collates the sessions separately. The 17 October '61 session - with Bish - is on tracks 1-7, the 18th job is tracks 8-14. Personally, I prefer the uncollated stuff for this one (perhaps because I'd had the 'Up tight' LP since the sixties) so, when I ripped the CD, I uncollated it. I think Bob Weinstock (or Esmond Edwards) made good decisions about those sessions. Well, you pays yer money and takes yer choice on the hard drive.

MG 

15 hours ago, JSngry said:

The Oliver Nelson session....desperately needs an official, collated release. As does the Waldron session.

If you want to give me a preferred running order and send me a nice pic to use as the sleeve, I'll do you one.

MG

6 hours ago, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

No. The CD of 'Up tight' collates the sessions separately. The 17 October '61 session - with Bish - is on tracks 1-7, the 18th job is tracks 8-14. Personally, I prefer the uncollated stuff for this one (perhaps because I'd had the 'Up tight' LP since the sixties) so, when I ripped the CD, I uncollated it. I think Bob Weinstock (or Esmond Edwards) made good decisions about those sessions. Well, you pays yer money and takes yer choice on the hard drive.

MG 

Indeed. Here are the specs for anyone interested in reorganizing this material from the CD issue.

https://www.discogs.com/Gene-Ammons-Up-Tight/release/3358795

However you choose to listen, this so sublime Gene Ammons!

Edited by Joe

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

it just so happens gene ammons is an artist of which i have nothing in the digital format, lol

**are there any VJD series gene ammons cds.  a lot of those sound great and many times i consider them to be an upgrade of the vinyl

1 hour ago, danasgoodstuff said:

I'll have to look for it.

What is VJD series? Can't answer unless I know :)

MG