Who did you miss when they were alive

The biggest regret for me - Steve Lacy and Mal Waldron played duo near where I lived as a teenager, but you needed a credit card to book and by the time I got a parent to do so for me it was sold out... Never heard either live

Missed Andrew Hill on his UK big band tour too - was unemployed and decided I couldn't afford it, wish I'd prioritised differently!

Edited by Olie Brice
typo

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I missed Charles Mingus because my ears opened up to jazz about a month after he played live in my city. I never had another opportunity to see him before he died.

Art Pepper was scheduled to play a concert in a park, which I went to, but he died very shortly before the concert. Betty Carter filled in.

I bought a ticket to a Woody Shaw concert in a club, and excitedly went to the club to see him, only to be told that he had played there the night before. I looked at the ticket and sure enough, I was off by one day. I never had another opportunity to see him.

Tommy Flanagan was the last artist to be featured in a subscription series of jazz concerts which I purchased. Before we got to the last concert, he was too ill to perform. Roland Hanna filled in. Flanagan passed away shortly after that.

I was never in physical proximity to any city in which Miles Davis, Ornette Coleman, Andrew Hill, or Horace Silver played.

I flew to Seattle on business and Benny Carter was playing in a club there with a small group. I had a bad cold and the flight made me feel so congested I just could not get out of bed to go see Benny.

Otherwise I have seen just about every great who I would want to see, who was alive after I became a jazz fan. I have seen many of the greats and near-greats.

Edited by Hot Ptah

Looking at from a practical standpoint (meaning factoring in geography, even if that breaks Chuck's "rules"), I've managed to see/hear just about everyone I would have wanted to. The biggest exception is that I never heard Derek Bailey in person, and he played Atlanta and Chattanooga several times. Not sure why I never made it.

Some near-misses: New Orleans trombonist Louis Nelson. On my first trip to the Crescent City in 1990, I saw Kid Sheik's band at Preservation Hall. Louis Nelson had been the trombone player with the band, but at that time he was in the hospital, where he died a few weeks later.

Zydeco legend Boozoo Chavis. On another NOLA trip, I couldn't get my traveling companion to extend our trip one more day to see him at the Rock 'n' Bowl.

And I missed John Tchicai by one day in Copenhagen. That one broke my heart.

On 6/23/2016 at 5:40 AM, paul secor said:

Too many. I guess I thought they would live forever.

Me too. Most of all I'm sorry I heard the Ellington band only once, though I did get to hear Ellington's "My People" the season it debuted - I believe some Ellington alumnae  were on that band.

Joe Segal's Jazz Showcase has been absolutely a blessing here in Chicago. Joe brought in an incredible number of old and young musicians to Chicago - even Cecil Taylor at least 3 times, and he never enjoyed Cecil's music.

• 3 weeks later...

I just remembered that when I moved to LA I lived in The Valley and Johnny Guarnieri played  nightly for a  couple of years at a bar/restaurant just down the street from me and I never got around to going!     Victor Feldman performed several times at a small jazz club near me and I never saw him either.   Fortunately shortly  after I moved there I did see Art Pepper, Harry Edison (with Bob Cooper) and Teddy Edwards.  They were either at Donte's or another Valley club the name of which I've forgotten. 

I did not actually miss him, because later in life did get to see a few live Max Roach shows that were great.

But, I grew up in Amherst, MA where Roach was in the music department at UMass for my entire childhood. Sadly I didn't know anything about Jazz until I left for college. :( 

On 12/07/2016 at 1:18 PM, Hot Ptah said:

I missed Charles Mingus because my ears opened up to jazz about a month after he played live in my city. I never had another opportunity to see him before he died.

The only time I ever saw Charles Mingus in the flesh he was not performing. He walked into Bradley's in the mid-late 70s. Jimmy Raney was on the stand. Mingus's arms were like tree trunks. I caught a tad of his conversation, something to the effect of 'that's what I been doing'...

On 06/08/2016 at 5:57 PM, psu_13 said:

But, I grew up in Amherst, MA where Roach was in the music department at UMass for my entire childhood. Sadly I didn't know anything about Jazz until I left for college. :( 

I do recall seeing Max Roach once. Don't remember the details, but it was a Dizzy Gillespie event at Lincoln Center, and Paul West was on bass. Max was sort of challenging him by accenting 1 and 3, perhaps to see how West would react.

He came into the Schomberg performance space in the '90s, to hear a tribute to Nat Cole. He was dressed like a king, and beamed when he said to the audience he was amid 'thank you all for coming'. I seem to recall him grabbing my arm at that moment...