Woody Shaw/Louis Hayes The Tour Volume 1

Tom 1960

Thanks for the heads-up, Tom1960 and Lon.

I had missed out on hearing of this new release. And it's "Volume 1...."

Woody Shaw III and HighNote deserve recognition for all their archival Shaw releases the past 15-or-so years...

John

I remember reading a Melody Maker live gig review back when this tour took place. They played a week or two at Ronnie Scotts and at some stage Cook and Shaw nearly came to blows on the stage. Never heard the full story but that was the end of the band I believe.

Edited by sidewinder

3 hours ago, sidewinder said:

I remember reading a Melody Maker live gig review back when this tour took place. They played a week or two at Ronnie Scotts and at some stage Cook and Shaw nearly came to blows on the stage. Never heard the full story but that was the end of the band I believe.

Interesting - never heard about that ....

• 5 weeks later...

Just a heads-up about the other "recent" (well, released in 2012) HighNote Woody Shaw release entitled "Woody Plays Woody":

The CD is simply a compilation of previously-released tracks from the four other volumes of live Shaw material on HighNote. The CD features only Shaw compositions - hence the title. The current description of the CD at the HighNote website doesn't mention it is made up of previously-released tracks, either.

• 1 year later...