Unreleased Betty Davis recordings

Joe

"Betty Davis’ funk albums from 1973-1975 were reissued in recent years by Light in the Attic. But before those records were made, Betty and her then-husband Miles Davis recorded sessions at Columbia’s 52nd Street Studios on May 14 and 20, 1969. Miles and Teo Macero produced the sessions, which featured Herbie Hancock, Wayne Shorter, John McLaughlin, Mitch Mitchell (the Jimi Hendrix Experience drummer), and others. They covered Cream and Creedence Clearwater and recorded originals by Betty, but the songs were never released. Those sessions have now been unearthed and remastered, and are released today as The Columbia Years 1968-1969, via Light in the Attic."

http://pitchfork.com/news/66427-lost-betty-davis-1969-sessions-with-miles-davis-released/

http://lightintheattic.net/releases/2429-the-columbia-years-1968-1969

Looking forward to this, supposedly released Friday. Not much promotion of pre-release press about this one! I wonder if that is Betty wanting to maintain a low-key stance, or if this is an imitation of the pop album "surprise drop" (online). I hope it shows Friday. . .exciting news.

1 hour ago, mjzee said:

I remember Bob Belden posted "Politician" on his website many years ago.

Me too, though I'm not sure if I remember Wayne being on that cut (or that he was involved in these sessions).

Very interesting, I'm sure if the reviews are even halfway good, I'll go in for a copy.

Some samples here:

http://lightintheattic.net/releases/2429-the-columbia-years-1968-1969

It is a kick to hear Miles speak on a couple of these.  Hard to believe it will be a "lost classic" but damn interesting for sure.  

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

trick_dice.jpg

What he said.

and courtesy of the Bastards™, masters of simultaneously saying a whole lot and very little:

"A soul and funk fan's dream come true – never-heard recordings by the legendary Betty Davis, done for Columbia Records a few years before her debut album! At the time, Betty was hanging with Miles Davis, and turning him onto the sounds of fuzzy funk – and Miles actually produced these recordings, and used instrumentation from key associates like Herbie Hancock on keyboards, Wayne Shorter on reeds, and John McLaughlin on guitar – plus the mighty Larry Young on keyboards! The whole thing's amazing – every bit as great as Betty's work for the Just Sunshine label, but maybe even grittier – and with this unbridled vibe that's totally wonderful – and we're stunned that this is the first we're hearing of this music – but are mighty happy it's finally seen the light of day. A few cuts also feature Davis with The Crusaders and Hugh Masekela – for a groovy Cali soul sort of vibe – and titles include "It's My Life", "Hangin Out", "Politician Man", "Down Home Girl", "I'm Ready Willing & Able", "Born On The Bayou", and "Live Love Learn". "

7 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Though that sounds like Dusty Groove language, it's actually from the LIA press release.

I just say July 11 doesn't seem right because the new release day is Friday now.

Yeah, weird about the various release dates. I pre-ordered from the LIA site, anyway.

2 hours ago, sambrasa said:

Lost classic probably not but its historical value is tremendous. With personnel and vintage like that I'd buy if it would be entirely belching and yodelling.

I listened to the samples, and that desciption isn't far off the mark.  Very easy to understand why it was never released, would have sank like a rock in 1969.

The record's name is Columbia years 1968-1969, yet the description only covers the 1969 sessions (first half of the album, by the sound of it?)  Don't really hear keyboards or saxophone there.  What's the 1968 session, then, with big band and strings? 

Edit: oh yes, the Light in the Attic website says it's Hugh Masekela and The Jazz Crusaders.

Edited by sambrasa

It's hard to believe these sessions never completely escaped the vaults over all these years. Is there any knowledge of whether Hendrix was originally approached to be on these sessions? It seems logical he was earmarked one way or another. Maybe that's why it was shelved? Cause he wasn't there.

Some good info here:

http://soul-sides.com/2016/06/a-quick-primer-on-betty-daviss-columbia-recordings-album.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+o-dub%2FdqRL+%28soul+sides%29

Robert, I don't know if Hendrix was in fact approached for these sessions. . . .but he (his relationship with Betty) may be the reason they were not released.

My amazon order is now delayed til July 7.

6 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Some good info here:

http://soul-sides.com/2016/06/a-quick-primer-on-betty-daviss-columbia-recordings-album.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+o-dub%2FdqRL+%28soul+sides%29

Robert, I don't know if Hendrix was in fact approached for these sessions. . . .but he (his relationship with Betty) may be the reason they were not released.

My amazon order is now delayed til July 7.

Good information, Lon! Sounds like the earlier comment about these sessions holds true: "Lost classic probably not but its historical value is tremendous."