Don Friedman (1935-2016)

clifford_thornton

15 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

The great pianist Don Friedman has passed, as I'm told by my editor at the NYC Jazz Record (who's confirmed it).

I was slated to see him recently but he was too ill to perform. A life in music well-lived and he'll be missed.

Was that the Kitano show?

RIP, Mr. Friedman.

(if it's any comfort, Grace Kelly has been dead for quite a while)

r.i.p. Don Friedman - he's one of those that should have been *much* better known. Always enjoyed his playing a lot (once I got over the bad cover art his records usually came with, excepting the early ones).

C'mon folks, Grace Kelly is young and has a career playing Young People Music, and apparently a viable one at that. Did anybody really think she was going to grow up to be Lee Konitz? I mean, hope springs eternal and all that, but reality being the unrelenting bitch that it is...no.

So instead, celebrate life, celebrate Don Friedman (RIP) and fix yourself a bigass burrito!

Grace Kelly, parallel universe, worlds not expected to collide. Hilah, like Don Freidman, welcome ANY time.

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

C'mon folks, Grace Kelly is young and has a career playing Young People Music, and apparently a viable one at that. Did anybody really think she was going to grow up to be Lee Konitz? I mean, hope springs eternal and all that, but reality being the unrelenting bitch that it is...no.

So instead, celebrate life, celebrate Don Friedman (RIP) and fix yourself a bigass burrito!

Grace Kelly, parallel universe, worlds not expected to collide. Hilah, like Don Freidman, welcome ANY time.

Agree.

Although Grace plays better than she sings.

I only picked up my first Don Friedman-led (well, co-led with Don Thompson) date, Opus D'Amour, earlier this year and was very impressed.  I believe that he played Mezzrow either shortly before or shortly after one of my latest visits to New York, and I probably would've seen him had I been in town for it.  I'll be spinning Scott LaFaro's Pieces of Jade soon, as the bulk of it consists of five tracks by a trio of Friedman, LaFaro and Pete LaRoca and a later solo piece by Friedman dedicated to LaFaro (and a long rehearsal take by Bill Evans and LaFaro).

Given how fresh and unhackneyed I find his playing to be on Opus D'Amour, I'll definitely be picking up more of his music.  Thank you for the music, Mr. Friedman, and rest in peace. 

Frank Luther also played on another one of Friedman's Progressive LPs called Jazz Dancing.  

61560884_o1.jpg?20130808150156

Back in the day, it was only released in Japan.  Now it's available as a download.

EDIT:

Turns out that Frank Luther was on this Friedman LP too (also Japan only):

R-7979696-1452837562-3156.jpeg.jpg

Edited by HutchFan