Pi Records

John B

So far I have heard three out of the first five Pi records releases (Wadada Leo Smith's Year of the Elephant and Henry Threadgill's Everybody's Mouths a Book and Up Popped the Two Lips) and have been very impressed by the amazing music they are putting out. I think I will try to track down their Roscoe Mitchell disc next.

Has anybody else checked out this label? Based on their track record so far I am very impressed and am thinking they might become one of those labels whose every release is worthy of attention.

If you haven't heard the Wadada and the Threadgill's I recommend rectifying the situation asap. Great, great music.

I have "Year Of The Elephant", as it's usually good to hear Wadada and he's fine in this supergroup setting. I've not tried the Threadgill's as his Columbia recordings were not been to my taste. I'm curious about the Pis though.

Edited by JohnS

While I love Threadgill's music with Air, New Air, and with his mostly acoustic "Sextet", I've been much less enamored with most of what he's released since. His Pi records have their moments, but I could not get past their synthetic sheen and soon sold them. I still admire Threadgill's spirit and listen often to my Threadgill favorites.