What Private Recording Are You Listening to Right Now?

Dan Gould

OK so this won't be nearly as popular as those other threads but still - I know there are plenty who collect these things, and anyway its a great way to make some people jealous. :g

Last three:

Mick Jagger & The Red Devils, Mean Ole World. They may have inspired Mick and the boys but he'll never make you forget the originals.  More committed fans may have a different reaction.

Otis Rush Prague '66 - BB King - T-Bone Walker Monterey '67

Otis Rush - '95 Chicago Blues Fest

1 hour ago, BillF said:

Gary Smulyan with the Nigel Price Trio, UK, Sept 2013.

I like Smulyan just fine.

Now it's Lil' Dave Thompson, Boulder CO 3-29-09

He died way too young - van accident heading from one gig to the next, iirc - but he had two nice releases on the Electro-Fi label.

John Coltrane Quintet 
- Frankfurt 1961 [CD 6a from Live 'Trane: Underground]
Stuttgart 1961 [CD 6b from Live 'Trane: Underground
With Eric Dolphy, McCoy Tyner, Reggie Workman, Elvin Jones; recorded live at Kongresshalle, Frankfurt am Main and Liederhalle, Stuttgart, Germany.

photo-of-john-coltrane-and-elvin-jones-a

Edited by alankin

Sinatra - Duets Solo

Somebody leaked this out to the interwebs a while back, allegedly the source for the two Duets ablums, Frank live in the studio in front of the band with a hand mike free to prowl as he pleased. I think it's a disgrace to the zeitgeist of that or any other time that the need was seen to autotune and bring in (most) of the Duet partners. Yes, his pitch, hell, his whole voice, is old and croaky, but the dude is in there, the rapport with the band (Pat Williams charts, iirc, very nice) is rock-solid, and the meaning of the songs is firm. Ragged but right, like the song says. That man has the band playing hard, and he's not leaning on them to get through, he's putting them on his back and carrying them up to where he needs it to be. That's a perhaps underappreciated part of Sinatra's thing, hos when he found his pocket, everybody came along, it was so strong you had to come along.

This is Sinatra in his Coleman Hawkins With Long Hair And Beard phase. Let an old man sound like an old man. When the old man is Sinatra (or Hawkens), any thing else is bullshit, what part of people get old and don't have everything they once did and until things get feeble and such that's OK is not understood? Let people go down swinging! 

What he does on "Come Rain Or Come Shine" is damn near epic, not for its correctness but for its sheer old man shaking his fist at life power. That motherfucker....damn.

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

Sinatra - Duets Solo

Somebody leaked this out to the interwebs a while back, allegedly the source for the two Duets ablums, Frank live in the studio in front of the band with a hand mike free to prowl as he pleased. I think it's a disgrace to the zeitgeist of that or any other time that the need was seen to autotune and bring in (most) of the Duet partners. Yes, his pitch, hell, his whole voice, is old and croaky, but the dude is in there, the rapport with the band (Pat Williams charts, iirc, very nice) is rock-solid, and the meaning of the songs is firm. Ragged but right, like the song says. That man has the band playing hard, and he's not leaning on them to get through, he's putting them on his back and carrying them up to where he needs it to be. That's a perhaps underappreciated part of Sinatra's thing, hos when he found his pocket, everybody came along, it was so strong you had to come along.

This is Sinatra in his Coleman Hawkins With Long Hair And Beard phase. Let an old man sound like an old man. When the old man is Sinatra (or Hawkens), any thing else is bullshit, what part of people get old and don't have everything they once did and until things get feeble and such that's OK is not understood? Let people go down swinging! 

What he does on "Come Rain Or Come Shine" is damn near epic, not for its correctness but for its sheer old man shaking his fist at life power. That motherfucker....damn.

This is v. interesting for a # of reasons - 1st, I are old so there's that, 2) I was working in a record store when those damn Duets came out - suffice to say peoples ignored our warnings and then complained, 3) Duets Solo - great oxymoranical title, 4) good to know the as it happened version is that much better, 5) general record company stupidity, wanna bet there's an official Duets Solo someday and they screw that up too?, and last but not least 6) best SNL skit ever - "Your money's on the table"!

If Nancy Sinatra is handling things with Capitol now, here's hoping that she gets in touch with her Inner Lee Hazlewood and comes to appreciate the full value that an unvarnished Duets Solo release would have, especially the general cultural amusement in seeing how it plays out as far as who really gets it and who howls about "bad idea in the first place, should've just let the old man go in peace, this is tarnishing the legacy, etc" and then again all the young hipsters who will claim to get it but really just need therapy to stop being so damn prematurely old.

Can somebody design a Long Hair And Beard Hawk emoji?

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

If Nancy Sinatra is handling things with Capitol now, here's hoping that she gets in touch with her Inner Lee Hazlewood and comes to appreciate the full value that an unvarnished Duets Solo release would have, especially the general cultural amusement in seeing how it plays out as far as who really gets it and who howls about "bad idea in the first place, should've just let the old man go in peace, this is tarnishing the legacy, etc" and then again all the young hipsters who will claim to get it but really just need therapy to stop being so damn prematurely old.

Can somebody design a Long Hair And Beard Hawk emoji?

Didn't know those "solo" takes had circulated ... FWIW, I just sent Nancy Sinatra a message on Twitter asking if there had ever been talk of releasing these tracks with just her father's vocals. Will let you know if I hear back.

Well, from what I've heard, Nancy is very protective of the reputation and the assets which she oversees and is not shy about it. And good for her on that. But at this point in time, especially with the right marketing "framing", I think it would be a great release. She might think otherwise, which is her prerogative.

So, get Will Friedwald or somebody to start talking about the "lion in winter" Sinatra and how the Duets albums did a service to his reputation in the marketplace but not as an artist, blahblahblah and how private recordings show blahblahblah, let that gain some traction and build momentum and ripen. The start talking aobut Capitol is considering blahblahblah, give it a few years, and then it'll be ready to go.

Or not Will Friedwald, maybe he's not the guy. But geez, you got a market, manipulate/keep manipulating it. If you can do it for crap like Duets, do it for this. What's the point of having that much juice if you can't make good things happen?

John Coltrane Quintet with Eric Dolphy, McCoy Tyner, Reggie Workman, Elvin Jones
Olympia Theatre, Paris, 1961 [second concert] [CD 3a from Live 'Trane: Underground] — Blue Trane, I Want To Talk About Your and My Favorite Things; ~49'
Stockholm 1961 [CD  3b from Live 'Trane: Underground] — Naima from 2nd concert (inc.) (02:34)
Berlin 1961 [CD 3c from Live 'Trane: Underground] — Impressions (13:05)

2c0ff8abbcbd09fb4b6afbca4db652ee.jpg

Edited by alankin

Wayne Shorter Quartet with the BBC Concert Orchestra, November 2013 at the Barbican.  They're playing a piece labelled as Pegasus by the BBC, but which isn't.  It has a naggingly familiar three chord vamp, entering after about four minutes, then doubled by the Orchestra a couple of minutes later.  Is it one of his eightes or nineties pieces?  Now they're playing The Three Marias.  Thanks, Wayne.

9 hours ago, docwilko said:

Wayne Shorter Quartet with the BBC Concert Orchestra, November 2013 at the Barbican.  They're playing a piece labelled as Pegasus by the BBC, but which isn't.  It has a naggingly familiar three chord vamp, entering after about four minutes, then doubled by the Orchestra a couple of minutes later.  Is it one of his eightes or nineties pieces?  Now they're playing The Three Marias.  Thanks, Wayne.

I was there for that one. The BBC recorded and broadcast it - have a CD of that broadcast somewhere.