Tom 1960

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

For me it would be Marian McPartland's six albums from 1951-53 before she signed with Capitol, plus the albums that Erroll Garner, Hank Jones, George Shearing, Paul Smith, Billy Taylor and Lenny Tristano recorded for Savoy (or subsidiary labels Acorn and Regent.) Oh, and lest I forget, anything Pres recorded for them. Most my Lester Young stuff from Savoy is actually on compilations.

When I compare both in Lord - I have only the double CD, not Savoy SJL 2202 - the latter does not include Empty Hearted from the April 18, 1944 session. But that could be a mistake in the Lord disco.

The CD also includes the Live session from the Argyle Club in Chicago, IL, recorded April 2, 1950.

Oh really????? Like how much and what????

Rhetorical question, of course, looking fir it right now, gotta have it then.

But now wait...I have that live session on LP as well...Savoy reissues ended up being pretty thorough...how much more if the Lord entry is correct?

You probably have it all. You can easily look these things up. The main difference I see between the two is that the live is included on the cd set. You may only be missing one track or so.

I have both. I find that the earlier Savoy/Denon cds that mimic the original LP compilations sound a bit better to me than the two cd set. And the two LP set in question sounds fantastic on my system.

Edited by jazzbo

Since I just ordered a Hollywood String Quartet Late Beethoven Quartets set for about the same price, yes I can Iive without it. For now. At some point I'm going to want to binge-listen away from home for a week or to, and then...

Thanks for the answers, though. If it were anything other than another Earle Warren vocal, I'd probably suck it up and spend today to be prepared for tomorrow.

On July 11, 2016 at 7:19 PM, Mark Stryker said:

The Hank Jones solo piano LP from 1956 is one of the greatest solo piano records ever. The title is variously seen as "Piano Solo," "Hank Jones" or  "Have You Met Hank Jones." All of Hank's Savoys are really good, but that solo record is the one that is truly essential. Hank was basically the house pianist at the label, often pairing with Wendell Marshall and Kenny Clarke. While I'm thinking of it, the Joe Wilder record with Hank, Wendell and Klook, "Wilder 'n' Wilder" is a sweetheart too. But, again, that Hank solo LP is a must have.

I thought for sure I had that Hank Jones on cd.  So I checked and out of three cds of Savoy material none is solo.  Was the solo album released with the back of the cd tray purple with yellow print?  My three are from that series.

7 hours ago, six string said:

I thought for sure I had that Hank Jones on cd.  So I checked and out of three cds of Savoy material none is solo.  Was the solo album released with the back of the cd tray purple with yellow print?  My three are from that series.

No, the solo LP did not come out in the Savoy/Denon series or after that, officially. It was released on cd by Fresh Sound.

On 29.7.2016 at 0:05 PM, jazzbo said:

No, the solo LP did not come out in the Savoy/Denon series or after that, officially. It was released on cd by Fresh Sound.

Prior to that it was reissued in the "Arista" period of the label on a Savoy single LP ("Solo Piano", SJL 1124) at the same time that all those twofers mentioned earlier were reissued.