SHM Blizzard from Japan: Verve, Prestige, Riverside, Impulse, BN

RiRiIII

From June to September 2016, dozens of cds. All releases can be found at the following Universal Japan link - just go the relevant tag to browse per label:

http://www.universal-music.co.jp/jazz/jazz-hyakkaten/cat/201606/

Since these are remasters/transfers from previous releases, your recommendations are more than welcomed!

NB: New liner notes are  included...

Alex

Edited by RiRiIII
typo

1 hour ago, mjzee said:

Click on each title, and a page will appear with the CD title.  The first one, for example, is Cannonball's Somethin' Else.

Went through them.  The usual suspects.  And still no Larry Young "Heaven on Earth".

4 hours ago, king ubu said:

Okay, guess I can skip it then ... don't really have all that much by/with Mance, guess he doesn't speak to me as much as others do.

That's about right, it's not amazing.  I bought the lp when it was first released on the strength of Mance's playing with Gillespie. I sold the record some time later but came to regret it.. I was happy find a Japanese cd a few years back and wouldn't be without it maybe for solely nostalgic reasons.   That said I have nothing else by Mance so he doesn't speak much to me either.

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 3:22 PM, felser said:

Still no Larry Young "Heaven on Earth".

Which is such a shame -- the only Larry Young BN title practically never to come out on CD not as part of the Mosaic box.  (I say "practically" because there was a Japanese issue about 6-8 years ago, available for about 5 minutes it would seem, which I only found out about 2 years ago - long after it was completely out of print, and impossible to find.  Copies come up on eBay every once in a blue moon, but always with "buy it now" prices of like $100 or so.)

I do have a legit Larry Young Mosaic set on CD, but would love to have the entire set on individual CD's (and might even sell my LY box, if I did).  But for "Heaven on Earth", I could.

1 hour ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Which is such a shame -- the only Larry Young BN title practically never to come out on CD not as part of the Mosaic box.  (I say "practically" because there was a Japanese issue about 6-8 years ago, available for about 5 minutes it would seem, which I only found out about 2 years ago - long after it was completely out of print, and impossible to find.  Copies come up on eBay every once in a blue moon, but always with "buy it now" prices of like $100 or so.)

I do have a legit Larry Young Mosaic set on CD, but would love to have the entire set on individual CD's (and might even sell my LY box, if I did).  But for "Heaven on Earth", I could.

Exactly where I am except that I sold the Young Mosaic (twice!), and live without 'Heaven on Earth', but keep hoping.  Really surprised the recent Japanese series didn't include it.

• 1 month later...

I got in five Impulse titles and so far have listened to "A Love Supreme," which may well be the same mastering as the earlier SHM-CD, doesn't sound exceptional so I would guess it is not the same mastering as was used for the SHM-SACD. I have neither so can't compare.

Listening to Ballads now, which also sounds as if it could be from a 2011 remastering or so. 

Listening a few more times I think "A Love Supreme" and "Ballads" may be the RVG masterings from the Deluxe editions. 

"Coltrane" however doesn't sound that way, and sounds very good. As does "Transitions" (haven't yet compared that to the earlier Japanese lp facsimile edition I have with Reeves mastering).

Edited by jazzbo

That's cool. I've had great benefits from upgrading cds and have had the money to spend. Can't take it with you. Some of the latest releases from Japan sound significantly better on my system. And in the right mood I have fun doing comparisons.

Edited by jazzbo

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I went ahead and ordered from these Verve 60th Rare Albums SHM-CD Reissue Series:

1. UCCV-9605 Sonny Stitt / Sonny Stitt Sits In With The Oscar Peterson Trio [SHM-CD] [Low-priced Reissue]
  2. UCCV-9612 Phil Woods & His European Rhythm Machine / Phil Woods And His European Rhythm Machine [SHM-CD] [Low-priced Reissue]
  3. UCCV-9616 Teddy Wilson Trio / Intimate Listening [SHM-CD] [Low-priced Reissue]
  4. UCCV-9617 Artie Shaw / I Can't Get Started [SHM-CD] [Low-priced Reissue]
  5. UCCV-9634 Toni Harper / Toni [SHM-CD] [Low-priced Reissue]

And the I plan to go with the following:

1. Wynton Kelly Trio / Undiluted [SHM-CD] [UCCV-9628 | Release Date: July 27, 2016

2. George Benson / Goodies [SHM-CD UCCV-9614 | Release Date: July 27, 2016

3. Jimmy Smith / Got My Mojo Workin [SHM-CD] [UCCV-9609 | Release Date: July 27, 2016 |

4. Stan Getz / Stan Getz And Gerry Mulligan And The Oscar Peterson Trio [SHM-CD] [Low-priced Reissue] UCCV-9596

5. Donald Byrd / Up With Donald Byrd [SHM-CD] [Low-priced Reissue]UCCV-9610 | Release Date: July 27, 2016

• 3 weeks later...
On 28/08/2016 at 4:30 AM, David said:

Has anyone purchased any of these yet? I am wondering whether they are the same remasters as the 2013-2014 SHM series, where applicable (the "HR Cutting," whatever that means). Those, at least on my system, sounded very good, and were worth the purchase.

I have just got hold of a Somethin' Else UCCU-5655 SHM-CD.  I'm as certain as I can be that this is the 2013 BN SHM mastering.  I know the 75th Anniversary CD as a burn and the new CD has the same 7 tracks and the P-Circled copyright 2013 identifier.  Although, the new CD comes without the 75th's packaging e.g. photo tray etc.  The packaging is the bog-standard 'Low-Priced Edition'  presentation; a facsimile of the original LP cover - front and back .  The bonus tracks are not even noted on the cover track-list, only the CD, which I find a bit strange.  Still, its the music that counts, really, and I like the sound. 

• 3 weeks later...

Also, Warner Music Japan has a "Jazz 1200" series, maybe not as deep as that series from Toshiba EMI a couple years ago, 999 Series (some overlap); but some interesting odds and ends, some I believe previously unissued on CD; a number of reissues on the Jubilee label (hopefully WMJ will go deep on some of the other labels as well); a few Teagarden Roulettes that were not issued on individual CD's; also "Patented by Edison"; "The Sunny Side of Stitt"; 11/23 was the latest in the series.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...