Savoy set coming from Mosaic

On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 11:56 AM, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

People who can turn a profit can do that. Sonny Stitt didn't have a recording contract from the early mid-fifties until he died. And made more albums for which he was PAID than just about any other jazzman. Even earlier, Rev J M Gates' manager wouldn't let him sign a contract, so he recorded for practically every company around in the 1920s.

I do hope the alliance between Mosaic and Savoy Jazz indicates that Muse material owned by Savoy might be a possibility for Mosaic box treatment.

MG

Perhaps, but  as it relates to Yusef, at the time he made his first recordings for Savoy -- his first recordings as a leader -- he had literally zero evidence he that he had any demand at all in the marketplace.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Yes, looks excellent. And I'm among the few who like the sound of the Dial set so we'll see how this one sounds.

How would you characterize the sound on the Dial set, compared to, say, the Bird material on the Dial/Savoy package?  How does the difference sound?

Both this and the Dial are sets which I will buy when they're about to run dry, and then for the "archive"ness. Really don't have a burning compulsion at this time to deeply engage further with most of the selections. Savoy really covered this stuff really well back in the day, and Dial, maybe not so much in America, but still...

Hopefully it runs low soon, meaning that I hope a lot of people buy it quickly. Mosaic is still a worthy cause.

Slightly disappointed that they didn't include the Charlie Parker material. I liked the sound of the Dial box and having the Parker material included, although i had it elsewhere, was the icing on the cake. It would have been nice even just for the sake of symmetry: Mosaic Dial set with the Parker material included, Mosaic Savoy set with the Parker material included. The Savoy set as it is still looks good but for me if it had the Parker it would be a must buy.

I do wonder how well the Dial set sold, and whether leaving the Parker tracks off of the Savoy set was influenced by it. The Dial set is the only Mosaic set, at least in recent times that i'm aware of, that has had significantly negative customer feedback with regards to the sound. With a set like Dial/Savoy, aficionados (i.e. Mosaic customers) have a lot if not all of the material. Excellent packaging and liner notes aside, the main reason to buy is for the 'Mosaic will be the definitive version on CD from a sonic point of view'. Even then a lot of people will be on the fence; if it's getting some strongly negative reviews regarding the sound (as in "this is not subjective, this has been botched"): game over.

I too would buy this if the Parker were included (though Lord knows I have this in so many forms already and am really happy with the Savoy/Denon versions) but I think Mosaic mostly feared it would enlarge the set too much and inhibit some sales, and they may be right, especially as there's no shortage of versions of the Parker sides.

Hello!

I have so very little of it that the Savoy box is an automatic buy for me. And I love the Dial effort.

But it got me also thinking about the Savoy gospel catalogue. Too much, yes, for anything comprehensive save for single artists such as the Caravans. But I'd be very happy with a smart overview - 10 cds would not be too many!

On ‎10‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 10:31 AM, David Ayers said:

Just no time to listen to all this stuff. And so many real-life arts events to attend...

Maybe not on the same boat, but docking at the same port, perhaps.

Still, I began "collecting" proper with they motivation of signing off with a very thorough "archive" of, not everything, but things I had a more than casual interest in. Don't want to let that fail with these two sets that are perfect examples of that.

from what I have heard of the Mosaic/Dial, 'fuller' maybe, which is not an analog thing but an eq thing that anyone could replicate; the introduction of that horrible extra noise makes it a no-go for me, and Mosaic really should be ashamed for having done this. It's an artifact, likely introduced by whatever "proprietary" technique  was used, and it is inexplicable that they didn't just go back and fix it. I can tell you that one very well known sound restorationist actually wrote a letter to Mosaic, he was so appalled. It's doubly horrible because it didn't have to happen. Personally I am holding onto my Spotlight reissues and whatever else I have, legal or not. This music is too important.

cripes, just looked at the Savoy; it's Horwich again. Help, unless he has learned his lesson. I cannot get the samples to play, which might be intentional.

got it working now, and will tell you that there is a ton of distortion on the trumpet solo on Fat Girl; and the EQ on the samples is a mess. Too much mid and lower mids.

please everybody - listen to FAT GIRL from abut 1:35 on - hear the weird gutteral sounds on the trumpet, like someone coughing up plegm? That's noise reduction distortion; I can hear it EVEN on my little built-in MAC speakers. Just awful.

Edited by AllenLowe

I keep on listening for the alleged artifacts on the Mosaic Dial set and what I hear is clearly from the original source.

The Dial set is without doubt the most impressive sounding digital versions of the material. Period. I defy anyone to come up with better sounding legitimate CD versions. I imagine the Savoy set will be equally as excellent. Essential me thinks.

Whether it is proprietary software, dastardly EQ on the Mosaic website samples or some nefarious skill of Jonathan Horwich & crew, it evidently works. Or perhaps my ears are too addled to hear?

Ha! Ha! The weak pound will boost exports no ends.

The custom charges here from the States have gone barmy again. You get a double whammy of an arbitary amount on the goods and then you get additional charges on the courier costs. How unfair is that, import duties on the cost of the courier? I ordered a J.Press blazer in their sales then got hammered with €243 worth of import charges!

I can't risk running the gauntlet anymore as I must be flagged in the system as a habitual purchaser from the States. Let's harvest him before he gives it up as a lost cause!

well, if you can't hear it....fine, but you are basically encouraging what is really a desecration of great art; plenty of other sources are around, I have 'em all; just not a good thing to encourage Horwich on this pretty obscene botch. Let me ask you  - on that sample of Fat Girl on the Mosaic site, you cannot hear the distortion? Pretty shocking to me if you cannot.

I'll try to help you guys out- this from the Mosaic Web site: http://www.mosaicrecords.com/prodinfo.asp?number=260-MD-CD

this from YouTube - yes, Youtube - http://www.mosaicrecords.com/prodinfo.asp?number=260-MD-CD

in the first, notice the horrible - yes, horrible - weird metallic swoosh of the drums, caused by artifacts of noise reduction - notice how clean and clear the sound is in the second, even compressed for the net - you hear the natural room sound -  this did not need this kind of crap processing that Horwich gave it -

if you cannot hear that, you have lost too many high frequencies to judge -  if you like the brightness on the Mosaic version, it can be EQ'd without the digital distortion in the drums that Horwhich gave us -

Allen, I don't listen to samples on the website to make a judgment. I have the set. I hardly listen to anything on a computer, I don't have it connected to any decent sound source and can't make critical evaluations from tiny little laptop speakers. And my ears have tested fine recently, not a lot of high frequency hearing loss. I guess the website samples don't sound like the set does.

Edited by jazzbo