Savoy set coming from Mosaic

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, David Ayers said:

Between the shipping and the tax and duty...and if Mosaic are now declaring the a total cost as opposed to the nominal value...hard to justify for me any more...

I always ask them for nominal value, and they comply. I think you should ask them each time and they do it.

If the Customs Authorities don't recognize the content of the package as Art (which should flow freely) then they should accept the nominal value of some bits of plastic and paper for their import duties.  They look at the total cost to me (including shipping and handling) as the value on which they ding me.

I guess I'm not really miffed at Mosaic, as they could very well be leery of valuing their goods too low and thus run afoul of foreign Customs Authorities. 

I should look into all this, but I wonder what I would have to pay if I imported a $100 Million dollar Van Gogh? (he mused).

Sure looks like Harry and if you Google  Cecil he doesn't look like this.  But was Harry Carney on any Blue Note session? 

BTW Is everyone in agreement with the attribution of all of the soloists?   The notes says that listening to the solos of Navarro and Dorham "the distinctions are obvious in Navarro's   spikier tone, brilliant high notes and blistering technique."   The tone of the second trumpet solo (attributed to Dorham)  on Everything's Cool is not "spikey" but talk about high notes and blistering technique...  Whoever the soloist, it's terrific as are all the solos on that number.    And at the risk of seeming ridiculous, on Webb City   the trumpets almost seem to be exchanging 4s and 8s to me. 

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting that all the photos from this set come from Blue Note sessions. I guess nobody took photos at Savoy sessions?  Also, unlike most of its recent sets, Mosaic has decided to group takes together on this one rather than placing the alternates at the end of each disc. I found that useful on the Navarro/Dameron sessions--I was interested in listening to the differences in Fats's solos--but I wonder what others think of this?  It can get tiresome.

All that said, I like the set a lot.

And I think that is Harry Carney in that photo.

gregmo

On 12/30/2016 at 8:39 PM, medjuck said:

Sure looks like Harry and if you Google  Cecil he doesn't look like this.  But was Harry Carney on any Blue Note session? 

BTW Is everyone in agreement with the attribution of all of the soloists?   The notes says that listening to the solos of Navarro and Dorham "the distinctions are obvious in Navarro's   spikier tone, brilliant high notes and blistering technique."   The tone of the second trumpet solo (attributed to Dorham)  on Everything's Cool is not "spikey" but talk about high notes and blistering technique...  Whoever the soloist, it's terrific as are all the solos on that number.    And at the risk of seeming ridiculous, on Webb City   the trumpets almost seem to be exchanging 4s and 8s to me. 

Yes, Carney did record on Blue Note.  Two dates as a sideman.  Edmond Hall Swingtet date on May 5, 1944 and the Jimmy Hamilton and the Duke's Men date on November 21, 1945.

4 hours ago, Bluesnik said:

I have Sidney Bechet and The Port of Harlem Jazzmen (don't know if it's the same) as TOCJ-66007. That's one part of the BN history I'd like to see more of.

I don't think there's much of Blue Note's early trad/swing material that Mosaic hasn't reissued.

gregmo

2 hours ago, gmonahan said:

I don't think there's much of Blue Note's early trad/swing material that Mosaic hasn't reissued.

gregmo

Off the top of my head, I remember the "Pigmeat" Markham sides with Oliver Mesheux's Blue Six as not having been reissued by Mosaic.

There also is some music that Blue Note licensed, perhaps from Vogue (?), and had included on some 10-inch LPs that were not reissued by Mosaic.

2 hours ago, jazztrain said:

Off the top of my head, I remember the "Pigmeat" Markham sides with Oliver Mesheux's Blue Six as not having been reissued by Mosaic.

There also is some music that Blue Note licensed, perhaps from Vogue (?), and had included on some 10-inch LPs that were not reissued by Mosaic.

Wow, now that one was obscure! You sent me into Lord looking for it, and sure enough, there was a session in 1945 by Mescheux with Markham on vocals that produced four tracks that don't appear to have been reissued anywhere. Mesheux did record a session with Art Hodes that was reissued by Mosaic in its Art Hodes Blue Note set.  Lord doesn't show him ever having recorded anything else!  As for the Vogues, there are probably licensing issues there, but thanks for sending me on that little journey!

gregmo

21 hours ago, gmonahan said:

Thanks for that, but all of those Mosaics will be OOP, I'm afraid. Besides I discovered (I listened to the dic last night) there's not one Bechet/Port of Harlem Jazzmen track on the disc. So it's a hodge-podge of Port of Harlem Seven, Sidney Bechet Quintet, Frank Newton Quintet, J.C. Higginbotham Quintet, Sidney Bechet Blue Note Quartet and Josh White Trio. A kind of compilation.