Savoy set coming from Mosaic

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And I  probably have most of it on the various CD issues, but this may be the best way to have it all going forward.  Would likely clear out a lot of shelf space.  Will really have to give it some thought.  This would have been awesome 20-25 years ago.

I guess I have all of the later (80s) Savoy (vinyl) reissues from that era but still am looking forward to the detailed tracklist. I'm really wondering if they will target the gaps that there are in previous reissues instead of only covering the obvious throughout. For example, I own a Savoy 78 by Leo Parker "Chase'n The Lion" b/w "Senor Leo" that somehow did not figure on any of the reissues I've bought through the years. "New Look Swing" from that particular session also seems to have remained unreissued.

And no doubt there are more by other artists. Will have to dig through Ruppli's discography one of these days again ...

I guess I will bite ... but let's wait and see until we get the list of contents. Likely, I have most or a whole lot of it already, but there are some things I have on dubious releases (being too late to be around to pick up all the vinyl twofers, I have only one that will be in scope here, I tihnk).

But Mosaic doing Savoy ... does that open up new possibilities, like complete sets by the likes of Frank Wess, Milt Jackson, Kenny Clarke, Curtis Fuller, Yusef Lateef, maybe in some smart combinations (i.e. add the Lateef to the Fuller, combine Jackson and Klook ...)?

3 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

There's also a Gil Fuller Orchestra date that was done for Discovery in 1949 and then purchased by Savoy.

These four tracks were on Savoy SJL 2225, The Bebop Boys.

Methinks the greatest advantage of this set will be having all of the material in one place, finally - final collation, for sure.

I hope they include the alternate takes of Boppin' a riff part 2 and Fat boy part 1 that according to the Tom Lord disco appear on a Mythic Sound CD MS 6002 Early Bud Powell. I've never  heard this so I don't know if these are real alternate takes.

17 hours ago, JSngry said:

The Dial Mosaic seemed to be a noble rescue. This seems like a noble final collation.

And there can be some value in that.  But the days of being amazed at Mosaic are long gone.  Nothing ever again on their label will match the excitement of something like the original Larry Young box or Grant Green box, with wonderful music I had heard about but never actually heard.  Older and wiser.

Yes, it's the nature of the beast . . . we were collecting at the right time. New collectors won't have the same opportunities but have other delights. That's the name of the game in collecting. 

I'd like to see more box sets with Impulse material, such as all the Yusef Lateef or box sets of Ornette material (eventually I'd love to see the two Impulse titles reissued and there have to be some others about).

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

A Yusef Savoy set would be awesome, as would a Bill Barron Savoy + set, as would a set of the Bill Dixon-produced Savoy material, there's still room for surprises and delights, but is there the business opportunities to realize them?

And a set with the Savoy Post-bop stray stuff like Valdo Williams, Charles Moffett, and Marzette Watts.  Actually, I guess a lot of that was produced by Dixon, along with the Dixon/Shepp sides.  I'd jump on a box like that.

Lateef often recorded for Prestige and Savoy with the same band over one weekend at Van Gelder's, so the only sensible way for such a box set would be to cover both labels, which Mosaic probably cannot do. Since the Andorran folks have covered some of this ....

yusef-s-mood-complete-1957-sessions-with

4 CDs with all the Verve, Savoy, and Prestige/New Jazz releases. At least with proper annotation and full discographical details.

To make things more improbable, there are two cheapo boxes:

81wRxTJH-rL._SL1425_.jpgA1CIQ9bDoqL._SL1500_.jpg

Edited by mikeweil

Wasn't aware of the Fresh Sound set, but I have the two others. I think each cost $15 here at Dearborn Musc, maybe $13. Sound quality varies disc to disc but never worse than passable given the price. No liners to speak of except for tune titles -- not even the personnel is listed, so you have go to discographies for details. But it was definitely worth it to fill in the gaps I had between the mish-mash of original LPs, various twofers and CDs. I spent a lot of time this spring researching and writing a 5,500-word essay about Yusef for my book, and it's still not clear to me how he managed to record for so many labels simultaneously in an era of exclusive contracts. 

Edited by Mark Stryker