Savoy set coming from Mosaic

3 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Allen, I don't listen to samples on the website to make a judgment. I have the set. I hardly listen to anything on a computer, I don't have it connected to any decent sound source and can't make critical evaluations from tiny little laptop speakers. And my ears have tested fine recently, not a lot of high frequency hearing loss. I guess the website samples don't sound like the set does.

Exactly! If you are using samples on a website, listened to through a Mac or laptop speakers and not a hifi system with the finished article of the CD then your sample size is somewhat limited, if not flawed and your testing technique hardly up to scrutiny by a peer review. With the conclusion that what Mosaic is doing through Jonathan Horwich and his ilk is "desecration of great art" and their remastering is full of digital artifacts and "crap" is somewhat premature and I would suggest before delivering a definitive thumbs down verdict this requires access to the complete box set and discerning listening that cannot be delivered from a couple of samples on a website which may be MP3 or some other inferior format.

I can see though how the sound of the Dial set may throw some listeners who have grown accustomed to the remastering and imperfections of other versions of the material. I must admit to finding the Paker material somewhat strange at first, but strange in a good way and revealing the details as never before. One man's desecration of great art, may be another man's favourite remastering.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

I will be holding off purchase of this set until I receive some feedback here on the forum. I don't imagine there will be anything negative to say. I plan on getting this set as a Christmas present to myself. Tip money from my customers on my mail route.

Edited by Tom 1960

Got my shipping notice as well. Soon I will face one of those really important questions. Do I shelve it under "S" for Savoy or "B" for Bebop?  It is one of those profound issues that must give us pause......

gregmo

Edited by gmonahan
it doubled for some reason

2 hours ago, gmonahan said:

Got my shipping notice as well. Soon I will face one of those really important questions. Do I shelve it under "S" for Savoy or "B" for Bebop?  It is one of those profound issues that must give us pause......

I'm in the process of reorganizing my CDs, and I decided to shelve the Mosaic sets in order of their catalog numbers. Then I realized I'd forgotten about the couple of sets I have that were released by Universal in Europe with different catalog numbers...

12 hours ago, Dave Garrett said:

I'm in the process of reorganizing my CDs, and I decided to shelve the Mosaic sets in order of their catalog numbers. Then I realized I'd forgotten about the couple of sets I have that were released by Universal in Europe with different catalog numbers...

Nothing that a couple of tins of model paint can't solve...  ;)

The only order to my Mosaic collection is that all of the CBS sets are together, all of the Miles sets are together, same with the Atlantics, Emarcy/Roulettes and Blue Notes. Otherwise, it is random.

One of these days I will morph into the Mosaic equivalent of the late UK comedian Bob Monkhouse, start annotating the Mosaic catalogues and hire a librarian/'curator' !

Edited by sidewinder

You guys are just not sufficiently obsessive-compulsive. Not only do I have my collection arranged alphabetically by artist, I even have it arranged chronologically *within* each artist's sets.  Yes, I do need counseling. No, I'm not going to get it. I can't afford it. I keep buying these damned Mosaic sets...........

gregmo

3 hours ago, gmonahan said:

You guys are just not sufficiently obsessive-compulsive. Not only do I have my collection arranged alphabetically by artist, I even have it arranged chronologically *within* each artist's sets.  Yes, I do need counseling. No, I'm not going to get it. I can't afford it. I keep buying these damned Mosaic sets...........

You sound like you have been to my house.

I file them by the # of characters on the spine, sometimes ascending, sometimes descending, sometimes to male an arch, sometimes a dip. Sometimes I take them off the shelf out into the middle of the room and make the arch shape. Then I pretend they're a set of vibraphones and air-play along with whatever I want, often that clip of Dub Taylor on the Cosby show. Then my wife wakes up and makes me come back to bed, sometimes with a pill in hand, sometimes with just a baseball bat. Either way, I know what I have to do, so I do it.

Collecting Mosaic sets requires a special type of determination.

Following the discussion among the "What Vinyl are you listening to now" I've now checked the track listing and see that I really do not need to go for this. Apart from a scant few Leo Parker sides and some vocal tracks I think I have all the master takes (and whatever alternates were released earlier). And I really do not need 4 or 5 alternates (on average) of each of that many tracks.

OTOH, having recently browsed through a few late 40s jazz mags as well as some of those "First Pressings" (Big Nickel Pubs) books I still regret those Savoy sessions that have consistently defied reissue (or been overlooked over and over again ...). Probably no Mosaic fare but still a real pity IMHO.

Edited by Big Beat Steve