Savoy set coming from Mosaic

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This Mosaic set only covers "bebop". Lots of things not gonna be there, lots of things...including some almost(?) bebop...

Hopefully we'll all live long enough for THE Mosaic Don Byas set that will prove there is True Justice In The End.

Unless and until then, hey, do whatcha gotta do, and don't be surprised when others do the same thing. Doesn't have to happen, but it will.

Definitely NOT "bebop", but Don Byas still a BAAAAAAD Motherfucker, take heed world, and forget at your peril, not mine.

I'm calling on President-Elect Donald J. Trump to keep my Don Byas in America. Please join me.

Yes there was lots out there on Savoy that does not seem to be covered by that box. Some is slightly pre-bop, some may just be too obscure. Anybody familiar with that very first Carl Perkins (the pianist :D) session from 1949, for example? The tunes sound like standards to me. But how did he approach them at that time? Cant recall having ever seen them anywhere except in Ruppli's discography.

I am a bit surprised that the 1949 (IIRC) session by Harold Land (reissued on Black California) is not on that set either. It's been a while since I listened to the LP but I don't remember those tracks as being that pre-bop.

P.S: In the website listing they goofed (not Chaloff :g) with one of the tunes by Stan Getz:

It is "Stan GETS along". Should be fairly obvious, that play on words ...

Edited by Big Beat Steve

23 hours ago, JSngry said:

This Mosaic set only covers "bebop". Lots of things not gonna be there, lots of things...including some almost(?) bebop...

Hopefully we'll all live long enough for THE Mosaic Don Byas set that will prove there is True Justice In The End.

Unless and until then, hey, do whatcha gotta do, and don't be surprised when others do the same thing. Doesn't have to happen, but it will.

Definitely NOT "bebop", but Don Byas still a BAAAAAAD Motherfucker, take heed world, and forget at your peril, not mine.

I'm calling on President-Elect Donald J. Trump to keep my Don Byas in America. Please join me.

Both of these are on the Savoy LP twofer "Savoy Jam Party."

R-583606-1324219908.jpeg.jpg

A question...my copy of this set arrived yesterday and I couldn't help noticing that the lid doesn't close snugly. I soon discovered why. The plastic tray holding the three jewel boxes has two depressions at the top deep enough to accommodate the first two of the three "big boy" jewel boxes, but the depression at the bottom of the tray is only deep enough to accommodate a single jewel box not a "big boy".This means that jewel box three sticks up out of the tray much higher than the first two boxes and, as a result, interferes with the closing of the lid on this new Mosaic set. Is it just mine that came this way or have other folks here had the same problem?

I have the same situation. As I don't keep my discs in the box this isn't a real problem for me, but it would be if not. . . . I think there was an error somewhere in the packaging, perhaps originally it was going to be eight cds in four cases and single slim line double and something changed. . . and wasn't corrected. Mosaic may be able to help correct that in time.

Why do we have an interest in the box number?  I have about 35 various ones, and I think I've noticed the number a couple of times.

It might have made a difference in the days of vinyl in that pressing #1 might be "better" than pressing #1234, and if each individual disc was pressing #1.  But these are CDs, and each is a clone and identical.

And how does Mosaic  decide who gets which box?  My friend Don Brown got his Savoy set on Friday (in Toronto, which offers some border delays) and opened box 0002.  I don't have mine yet, and ordered weeks before he did.  I better get #0001! :P

Edited by Ted O'Reilly
Correct a typo.

20 hours ago, Ted O'Reilly said:

Why do we have an interest in the box number?  I have about 35 various ones, and I think I've noticed the number a couple of times.

It might have made a difference in the days of vinyl in that pressing #1 might be "better" than pressing #1234, and if each individual disc was pressing #1.  But these are CDs, and each is a clone and identical.

And how does Mosaic  decide who gets which box?  My friend Don Brown got his Savoy set on Friday (in Toronto, which offers some border delays) and opened box 0002.  I don't have mine yet, and ordered weeks before he did.  I better get #0001! :P

I find it of some nominal interest.   Possibly it gives you a sense as to how well a box is selling.   Possibly.   Maybe it appeals to the collector in some /all of us to score a low number.  

Many collectors still like to have low numbers though in fact it makes no real sonic difference today in digital releases.

For the last decade or so Mosaic has said that there is not particular reason to the numbering, that they are not sent out sequentially. Still no one gets 3334 right out of the gate, I think they press these 500 or so at a time (?)

Just to wrap up an earlier post...  "And how does Mosaic  decide who gets which box?  My friend Don Brown got his Savoy set on Friday (in Toronto, which offers some border delays) and opened box 0002.  I don't have mine yet, and ordered weeks before he did.  I better get #0001! :P"

I picked my copy up at the post office (and got dinged almost 40 bucks more for customs duties!) and discovered I own copy #0142, so...:huh:

Others have remarked on the inner tray, designed for a single jewel case, holding a quadruple.  Pain in the butt, ain't it?  A rare Mosaic mistake, but a mistake nonetheless.  I think I'll cut the bottom out from that tray -- the package won't sit comfortably on a shelf.

Oh, yes -- the music.  Just listened to Disc 1 (and like the sound), but I think I'll be taking my time listening to it all -- BeBop sure is relentless, isn't it?

On 17 Δεκεμβρίου 2016 at 7:50 PM, Don Brown said:

A question...my copy of this set arrived yesterday and I couldn't help noticing that the lid doesn't close snugly. I soon discovered why. The plastic tray holding the three jewel boxes has two depressions at the top deep enough to accommodate the first two of the three "big boy" jewel boxes, but the depression at the bottom of the tray is only deep enough to accommodate a single jewel box not a "big boy".This means that jewel box three sticks up out of the tray much higher than the first two boxes and, as a result, interferes with the closing of the lid on this new Mosaic set. Is it just mine that came this way or have other folks here had the same problem?

#112 just in! Same problem with the tray. 

Dexter Gordon started the session. Great!

23 hours ago, Ted O'Reilly said:

Just to wrap up an earlier post...  "And how does Mosaic  decide who gets which box?  My friend Don Brown got his Savoy set on Friday (in Toronto, which offers some border delays) and opened box 0002.  I don't have mine yet, and ordered weeks before he did.  I better get #0001! :P"

I picked my copy up at the post office (and got dinged almost 40 bucks more for customs duties!) and discovered I own copy #0142, so...:huh:

Others have remarked on the inner tray, designed for a single jewel case, holding a quadruple.  Pain in the butt, ain't it?  A rare Mosaic mistake, but a mistake nonetheless.  I think I'll cut the bottom out from that tray -- the package won't sit comfortably on a shelf.

Oh, yes -- the music.  Just listened to Disc 1 (and like the sound), but I think I'll be taking my time listening to it all -- BeBop sure is relentless, isn't it?

Kind of surprised about the customs charge, Ted. I haven't bought a Mosaic set for nearly 2 years because of the sad state of the Canadian $. But it's very rare that I've been dinged. Plus Mosaic usually (at least they used to ) "undervalues" sets on the customs tag, so that even if you did get charged it wouldn't be for too much. But in my experience the cost they show is so low that the P.O. says, "Too small to worry about." and let's it through without a charge. But as I say, maybe things have changed in the last couple of years.

Well, John, for whatever reason, the full price (including s&h) was noted, and the leeches attacked!  I think I'm not alone in believing that the Arts (music, dance, cinema, etc.) should be universal and international, flowing freely over borders.

In C$, this package has come to over $30 per disc.  This jazz habit is getting expensive.