The Bill Savory Collection

Hardbopjazz

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 6 months later...

Found this in the Stuff Smith entry in Wikipedia: 

Part of Smith's performance at what is considered the first outdoor jazz festival, the 1938 Carnival of Swing on Randall's Island, turned up unexpectedly on audio engineer William Savory's discs, which were self-recorded off the radio at the time, then long-sequestered. Some newsreel footage survived but no audio of the festival was thought to have survived until the discs were acquired in 2012 by Loren Schoenberg, executive director of the National Jazz Museum in Harlem.[1]

1 hour ago, medjuck said:

I wonder if he recorded any other acts at the festival.  Anybody who's visited the Museum notice? 

According to the NYT article referenced in the Wikipedia entry, just Basie and Stuff Smith:

The collection has already shed new light on what is considered the first outdoor jazz festival, the 1938 Carnival of Swing on Randalls Island. More than 20 groups played at the event, including the Duke Ellington and Count Basie orchestras, and though newsreel footage exists, no audio of the festival was believed to have survived — until part of performances by Count Basie and Stuff Smith turned up on Mr. Savory’s discs.

21 hours ago, medjuck said:

I wonder if he recorded any other acts at the festival.  Anybody who's visited the Museum notice? 

When I visited the museum several years ago, they gave me a lot to listen to.  But almost none of the recently released Basie with Pres tracks were there. I thought that they had given me everything, and was therefore very surprised at the last release.   I don't know if there is a way to survey the entire collection at the museum, unless maybe if you make an appointment with Loren to do so.  Maybe some of it still hasn't even been digitalized. 

3 hours ago, John L said:

When I visited the museum several years ago, they gave me a lot to listen to.  But almost none of the recently released Basie with Pres tracks were there. I thought that they had given me everything, and was therefore very surprised at the last release.   I don't know if there is a way to survey the entire collection at the museum, unless maybe if you make an appointment with Loren to do so.  Maybe some of it still hasn't even been digitalized. 

I didn't realize that. I thought I was choosing from the entire collection when I was there. 

9 hours ago, medjuck said:

I had a choice of about 1100 selections  (with some duplicates). Are there more? 

I was given an iPod full of music.  I don't recall how many selections were on it.    But I certainly went through all of the Basie, and most of the recent CD release was not there.  

Last year at the Museum the Count Basie Savory collection Ipod I heard was about 1/3 comprised of music that had been issued on LPs by various labels in the pre-CD era.  The Hershel Evans solos were absolutely grand and glorious.  My memory has deteriorated badly but I seem to faintly recall some different pieces from the first time I went there. So the museum must be adding tracks as they digitize them but their Ipods must only hold a finite number of tracks.

• 1 year later...

Nothing on the Mosaic cds is in the Pres discography I have (Frank Buchmann-Moller's "You Got to be Original Man!") so perhaps none of the released material has been available before. 

Has anyone been to the museum recently and noted how much they're offering now?  And though I previously said there were about 1100 selections  I can't remember whether they were individual songs or collections of songs.

Edited by medjuck

11 minutes ago, medjuck said:

Nothing on the Mosaic cds is in the Pres discography I have (Frank Buchmann-Moller's "You Got to be Original Man!". ) 

Has anyone been to the museum recently and noted how much they're offering now?  And though I previously said there were about 1100 selections  I can't remember whether they were individual songs or collections of songs.

I'll be there this Thursday and will try to remember to ask.  Hoping to listen to some of the Ellington material, actually... anybody know how much of it there is?

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/12/2018 at 10:15 AM, ghost of miles said:

I'll be there this Thursday and will try to remember to ask.  Hoping to listen to some of the Ellington material, actually... anybody know how much of it there is?

Did you find out how much Ellington there was? 

16 minutes ago, medjuck said:

Did you find out how much Ellington there was? 

Not a ton, but I can't remember the exact amount, unfortunately.  Maybe an hour in all?  I'll message Loren and see if he can tell me.  I did listen to some of it while I was there--a 1938 broadcast and a 1946 "Happy Go Lucky Local," which may not actually be part of the "Savory collection," although it's listed as part of that on the computer there.

• 5 years later...
1 hour ago, hopkins said:

I'm in NY for the week, and went to the museum. Unfortunately I was told the recordings are "in storage" and not available. Bummer...

Strange.   How does music in digital form end up unaccessible in storage?    We should contact Loren Schoenberg about this.  The availability of these recordings, including the ones still pending commercial release due to legal issues, has been the greatest attraction of this otherwise quite modest museum.  

1 hour ago, John L said:

Strange.   How does music in digital form end up unaccessible in storage?    We should contact Loren Schoenberg about this.  The availability of these recordings, including the ones still pending commercial release due to legal issues, has been the greatest attraction of this otherwise quite modest museum.  

Absolutely. It was quite a disappointment. I would be curious to find out why they were not available.

I did manage to see the Mingus Big Band:

And Savion Glover (fabulous show):

Edited by hopkins