RIP Charles Davis

Michael Weiss

Fascinating career,  and  seems like a life well-lived.  83 years old.  I first heard him on the Elvin Jones "Illuminations" album when I picked that  up  out of a cutout bin at Woolworth's as a new listener, and I was hooked on him  from his two features on that.

Very sad to hear this. My favourite album that he was on is 'Doin' The Thang!' by Ronnie Matthews on Prestige. I'll give that a spin today. RIP.

If I remember correctly he was here in the UK just a couple of years ago playing with the Sun Ra Arkestra at Glastonbury - it was on TV.

Maybe my favorite baritone sax player period. Was just listening to his Red Records release (REFLECTIONS) earlier this week and saying to myself, "I guess I've short-changed him as a tenor player all this time." He'll be missed.

13 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

Sorry to hear this sad news.

I always enjoyed his playing, especially on baritone sax. In his final years he seems top play the tenor far more often, though my preference was to hear him on baritone .

I also especially liked him on baritone.

• 6 months later...