Mini guitar amps?

skeith

I would be interested in hearing your experiences with mini guitar amps....nothing bigger than a Yamaha GA-10.

I am wondering which one(s) sound best and it does not matter if they are with AC plug or battery powered.

Any experiences either good or bad would be appreciated.

In case you are not familiar with the GA-10 ....it is about the size of a small toaster....and if anyone has personal experience with that one let me know.

I have never used anything smaller than an Epiphone Valve Jr. which is a very nice amp if a bit too bright for my tastes. I generally like the sound of larger amps, just don't like to pick them up and place them down. This is a very "garbage in and garbage out" amp, a very simple and clear circuit that will tell you what your pickups and cabling sound like, sometimes with brutal honesty.

N_VJR1.jpg

Edited by jazzbo

1 hour ago, jazzbo said:

I have never used anything smaller than an Epiphone Valve Jr. which is a very nice amp if a bit too bright for my tastes. I generally like the sound of larger amps, just don't like to pick them up and place them down. This is a very "garbage in and garbage out" amp, it will tell you what your pickups and cabling sound like, sometimes with brutal honesty.

mod_VJr.jpg

thanks Lon!  Looks like you can adjust the brightness on that one?

I corrected my pic because I realize that one has a "mod" done on it that circulates as a kit. I don't have such a mod on mine, no tone control at all, just a volume knob and like four watts of power. Mine did have the Eminence speaker which is a good one. Personally I like amps that I can use for both my basses and my guitars, and the smallest, lightest one that works for me with both is a Fender Musicman bass amp with a Celestion speaker installed. Almost as light as the Epiphone, but the 12" speaker works better for bass and there is a tone knob to cut the treble.

Edited by jazzbo

http://www.ztamplifiers.com/lunchbox-amp.html is what I have.  It is very light and easy and built like a tank.  I use it when I play out which is rare these days but I don't take my Fender VibroChamp out anymore.  It's too valuable to me in a variety of ways.

it's not worth risking anything happening to it.  So this Lunchbox is simple and easy and not expensive or at least not when I bought it.  I've had zero problems with it.  It has a good sound even though the tone is controled by one nob.

Edited by six string

14 hours ago, six string said:

http://www.ztamplifiers.com/lunchbox-amp.html is what I have.  It is very light and easy and built like a tank.  I use it when I play out which is rare these days but I don't take my Fender VibroChamp out anymore.  It's too valuable to me in a variety of ways.

it's not worth risking anything happening to it.  So this Lunchbox is simple and easy and not expensive or at least not when I bought it.  I've had zero problems with it.  It has a good sound even though the tone is controled by one nob.

thanks for your input!

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 2:55 PM, jazzbo said:

I corrected my pic because I realize that one has a "mod" done on it that circulates as a kit. I don't have such a mod on mine, no tone control at all, just a volume knob and like four watts of power. Mine did have the Eminence speaker which is a good one. Personally I like amps that I can use for both my basses and my guitars, and the smallest, lightest one that works for me with both is a Fender Musicman bass amp with a Celestion speaker installed. Almost as light as the Epiphone, but the 12" speaker works better for bass and there is a tone knob to cut the treble.

Is your Epiphone amp made by them....went on the Epiphone website and this amp was not shown as being offered.

It was an Epiphone product, no longer made. Was a combo unit, and also a head unit available.  Used ones are out there. It was never expensive, good value for money in my estimation. Ebay shows some available.

Edited by jazzbo

2 hours ago, jazzbo said:

It was an Epiphone product, no longer made. Was a combo unit, and also a head unit available.  Used ones are out there. It was never expensive, good value for money in my estimation. Ebay shows some available.

thanks!!

19 hours ago, six string said:

It runs at least $300 new?????

I loaned my Pignose out for about 10 years, I got it back a few months ago. It's OK, kinda gritty for a clean sound.

I've been using a Blues Jr for most of my practice room needs, I haven't played out for a few years.

I've been checking out my old Pro Jr., my Tele with single coils sounds great through it. The Tele Thinline with a humbucker in the neck distorts, not enough headroom, further testing soon.

Fender clean is my ideal these days.

I have a '73 Fender silver face Princeton that hasn't been turned on in years, I should investigate that one too. 

I have a Roland 20XL Cube and like it a lot. It's very versatile with lots of mods and Boss-like EFX (they make Boss pedals). It also has something called a "Power Squeezer" that cuts the output significantly without changing the tone for playing in spaces where low volume is important (like your bedroom).

For something even smaller, there's the Fender Frontman 10G. I bought one to travel with because it fits easily into my luggage. It has Gain, Treble and Bass knobs and an OD push-button. Easy on the wallet, too.

On July 20, 2016 at 10:10 AM, skeith said:

thanks!!

It runs at least $300 new?????

I was afraid of that.  I paid a little over $200 but it's been a while.  It sounds very good and I like the build quality.  It has a headphone option for personal playing and you can drive an additional speaker if desirable.  

Edited by six string

On 7/22/2016 at 0:57 PM, Bluesnik said:

I too use a Fender Blues Jr. It has a nice valve sound and performs quite well. It's only 15 W.

it's flexible, took me a while to get used to it when I got it. But once I dialed in my sound, it's great.

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 11:44 PM, BFrank said:

I have a Roland 20XL Cube and like it a lot. It's very versatile with lots of mods and Boss-like EFX (they make Boss pedals). It also has something called a "Power Squeezer" that cuts the output significantly without changing the tone for playing in spaces where low volume is important (like your bedroom).

For something even smaller, there's the Fender Frontman 10G. I bought one to travel with because it fits easily into my luggage. It has Gain, Treble and Bass knobs and an OD push-button. Easy on the wallet, too.

Thanks

I have a Frontman 15G which does have all the power I need but I need reverb.   So I was thinking of getting a reverb pedal but the Fender Champion 20 has reverb and costs less than any reverb pedal....so I am wondering which choice is better?

9 hours ago, skeith said:

Thanks

I have a Frontman 15G which does have all the power I need but I need reverb.   So I was thinking of getting a reverb pedal but the Fender Champion 20 has reverb and costs less than any reverb pedal....so I am wondering which choice is better?

The only trouble with built-in EFX (reverb included) is that unless they can be pedal activated, they're a problem to turn on and off in a performance situation. If that's not an issue, then I'm sure Fender 'on-board' reverb is totally fine. I have the reverb on my Roland 'On' all the time, actually.

20 hours ago, BFrank said:

The only trouble with built-in EFX (reverb included) is that unless they can be pedal activated, they're a problem to turn on and off in a performance situation. If that's not an issue, then I'm sure Fender 'on-board' reverb is totally fine. I have the reverb on my Roland 'On' all the time, actually.

thanks for your input BFrank.... like you, I would be leaving the reverb on all the time so that is not an issue.....it is interesting that most music store guys tell you that that reverb pedals such as the Electro-Harmonix "Holy Grail" have a much better reverb than you get on any amp....   And as for the performance situation...I find it interesting that very few pedals allow for battery operation (most require ac plug in) so it's not like you can put the pedal right under your foot or at least you couldn't forty years ago when I was playing guitar in a band....but as you can tell I am hopelessly out of date.  

I played a Roland Micro Cube in a store and really liked how it sounded and it was louder than I expected....but at 3 watts and able to work on batteries I am a bit concerned about whether it would be loud enough to practice with others.

On 7/28/2016 at 10:18 AM, skeith said:

thanks for your input BFrank.... like you, I would be leaving the reverb on all the time so that is not an issue.....it is interesting that most music store guys tell you that that reverb pedals such as the Electro-Harmonix "Holy Grail" have a much better reverb than you get on any amp....   And as for the performance situation...I find it interesting that very few pedals allow for battery operation (most require ac plug in) so it's not like you can put the pedal right under your foot or at least you couldn't forty years ago when I was playing guitar in a band....but as you can tell I am hopelessly out of date.  

I played a Roland Micro Cube in a store and really liked how it sounded and it was louder than I expected....but at 3 watts and able to work on batteries I am a bit concerned about whether it would be loud enough to practice with others.

I think it could be argued that pedals are generally better than build in effects, but it depends on personal taste, too. Another argument for pedals is that many of them have more controls to customize the sound.

As far as batteries, most of my pedals have a battery option, but I never use it, because they run down too quickly. I'd rather not have to worry about it. I'm not sure what you mean about positioning pedals when plugged in, though. If you have more than a few pedals, it's helpful to have a power supply for all, like the 1 Spot. It saves getting a power converter plug for each one.

IMO there's a difference between digital reverb on a pedal and spring reverb on an amp or a head unit like the Fender or Shreyer Audio reverb units. I prefer the latter for the most part for what I do on and with guitars. But it's a personal preference. . . we're all different. 

I use a Roland Micro Cube for practising and recording and it's potentially loud enough to for jazz gigs (just). micro_cube_angle_main.jpg

It has Chorus, Flanger, Phaser, Tremolo, Delay and Reverb and is battery or AC operated. Sadly it's discontinued but could be available second hand.It also has an aux in and headphones out so could be run through a P.A. It's primarily a guitar amp so I haven't dared plug my bass guitar into it. There are also around six preset settings emulating other types of amp and these run from clean to intentionally fuzzy distorted. The sound quality overall is excellent considering the reasonable price ( < $100 ).

Edited by RogerF