Dominic Duval (1945-2016)

clifford_thornton

Bassist Dominic Duval, who worked extensively with Joe McPhee and Cecil Taylor, among others, is sadly in his final stages of life after a battle with lymphoma. He is in hospital but the family are taking him to hospice care. 

There is a gofundme page here if you would like to donate towards making his last weeks more restful.

I always liked his playing and this is such a bummer. 

Update: just got word from the family that he has passed.

Edited by clifford_thornton

I saw Trio X in Rochester in 2014, and Dominic Duval, Jr., who is a heck of a bassist himself, filled in for his father.  There was a get-well card at the gig, but I had hoped that he just had the flu or something.  Thank you for the music, Mr. Duval, and rest in peace. 

Horrible news

was lucky to see him with Cecil Taylor back ~ 1997 or so with the quartet. I was still very new to that sort of thing and I recollect that he was strumming and bowing very seriously. I must have seen him again once or twice and I did have one conversation with him at the bar at The Knitting Factory back in the very late 90's. He was playing with Ivo Perelman upstairs or downstairs and a few of us from the old Jazz Central Station were getting ready for Dave Holland's band with Steve Nelson, Chris Potter and Billy Kilson. I might have mentioned seeing him with Cecil a couple of years before and I noted that Abdullah Ibrahim had played the first set with his trio - which to this day is one of the oddest combinations - and Dominic then said that Cecil referred to Ibrahim as "Half-Dollar"'as he wasn't a big fan!!

Dominic came across as a passionate learned guy and he urged us to blow off the Holland band for the trio with him, Ivo and I think Michael Wimberly or Jay Rosen but we didn't - I believe Mr. Ducal had a bit of Internet correspondence at the time and he sent me a solo CD recording some time later. I havn't kept up - been meaning to pick up some Trio X stuff, etc. I didn't know he was sick. Brings back a flood of incredible memories. What experiences he must have had playing with those that he did - from Cecil to Ivo to Joe McPhee - and all the others

RIP, sir

• 2 weeks later...