I saw a mint condition "The Jazz Scene" box from 1949 today

Hot Ptah

I saw a mint condition copy of Norman Granz' "The Jazz Scene" today. This is the only copy I have ever seen.

This came out on CD some time ago, but the original vinyl set (78s)  from 1949 is special. It is an oversized book, bound together, with over 50 full page black and white photos of jazz greats, which are very striking in their original size. The records (78s) are in full page sleeves which are bound into the book. There are extensive liner notes for each selection. This must have seemed amazing in 1949. I find it pretty amazing now.

How common is this set? Do any members here own it?

Edited by Hot Ptah

This is the original 78 issue. It is like a book that opens up and is bound on the left side. I guess it could be called a folio. It is not a box--I was using the term incorrectly. I have gone back and edited out the word "box" in my original post.

This is for sale at a used music store in Kansas City.

Edited by Hot Ptah

1 hour ago, Hot Ptah said:

This is the original 78 issue. It is like a book that opens up and is bound on the left side. I guess it could be called a folio. It is not a box--I was using the term incorrectly. I have gone back and edited out the word "box" in my original post.

This is for sale at a used music store in Kansas City.

Just curious, which store?

Revolution Records on 18th St., one block east of Oak Street, near downtown Kansas City, MO. The set is stored in the back. A guy named Miles who works there showed it to me today. He said that he is in charge of their eBay sales and that the owner expects him to list it on eBay but he can't bring himself to do it. He said he would sell it to a jazz lover in the store though.

Edited by Hot Ptah

I remember coming across a copy of this 78rpm folio at Mole Jazz back in the day - it was pretty dusty and far from pristine so in the interest of not sneezing every time I handled it (and not having 78rpm playback) I passed. It wasn't expensive either - maybe £10-15 ish.

3 hours ago, Hot Ptah said:

Revolution Records on 18th St., one block east of Oak Street, near downtown Kansas City, MO. The set is stored in the back. A guy named Miles who works there showed it to me today. He said that he is in charge of their eBay sales and that the owner expects him to list it on eBay but he can't bring himself to do it. He said he would sell it to a jazz lover in the store though.

Interesting.  Not my cup of tea, but would love to see it go to a local buyer.  Did he share the backstory on how they came on to it?

It's a glorious package, really is. The full page hi-res B&W photos are almost literally stunning. I would not mind having it as an object , and if ever found locally for a not silly price, I'd pounce if I was flush at the time. $35 in great condition, tthat's not silly, not for me. But it would have to be local.

Y'all in KC owe it to yourselves to go and just look at the pictures, seriously. Take your time at it and soak 'em in, all of them.

Yeah, for real 

As far as just records...eh, get the CD version.

But as an object...If you feel the tingle, consider taking it home and gazing into its eyes forever more...are they asking, like, lust money for it, because lust demeans this thing, it is meant to be loved. Miles there gets it, tell him that a cat in Texas extends full props to him about that. More Miles, less eBay, yes.

Again, I am completely serious. I've only seen it 3 times in the flesh, and only once when it was for sale. I didn't have discretionary income then, but now, for real, if you can entertain the paradigm that you gonna keep getting paychecks but you not gonna keep getting this thing, then there you go. I paid 50 bucksto see Sinatra at Caesar's, a bit of a reach at the time, but, you know, eat less for a week, right?.How many more 50 bucks have I seen and how many more Sinatra at Ceasar's have I seen?

Sorry, don't mean to be getting all lathered up, but...just sayin'.

I saw several copies of this 78 rpm set pass through eBay (at prices beyond my reach or being outbid each time) in the mid-2000s. Not long after that I found a fairly clean "first-generation" (i.e. period issue) LP version (same cover but of course none of the pictures that make up the "album" of the 78rpm set and grabbed that one. 

I'd definitely have sprung for the item at Mole Jazz that Sidewinder mentioned. ;)

Edited by Big Beat Steve

1 hour ago, Big Beat Steve said:

I'd definitely have sprung for the item at Mole Jazz that Sidewinder mentioned. ;)

Thinking back, just recalled that it was upstairs in that area by the stairs near the second hand book shelf, one of a cluster of generally grubby 78rpm items in a cardboard box. It would have needed one heck of a clean and even then it set me off on an immediate sneezing fit. I remember thinking at the time that it was a shame it wasnt the CD version (which I've since got ;)). Probably late 1990s...

Edited by sidewinder

I remember that corner, though only one particular visit when that corner was stacked with 78 rpm records in any significant number (mostly semi-jazz dance bands and loads of vocalist-led recordings, though, at first sight, and no alubms to speak of). but it may have been at that time that I discovered a box of grubby (but cleanable) 78 rpm ALBUMS sitting in a corner almost UNDER the stairs. No records inside anywhere - probably albums they received after the records had broken or with broken records inside. Some nice bebop-era albums in there I would have loved to buy for the artwork alone , but alas the albums were not for sale at that time.

19 hours ago, JSngry said:

Revolution is not answering their phone yoday, probably had to lock up and go to the basement to avoid the Zombie Collector Apocalypse...All I want is a quote to make sure I can't afford it.

Miles is the guy to talk to at Revolution about this. He works Monday from 5:30 to 7:00 p.m.