BFT #149: Discussion

Joe

Hi all.

Some advance note on next month's BFT: content will be available via my Bandcamp site, https://slowstudies.bandcamp.com/.

If you are interested in participating in BFT 149, please PM me here and I will provide instructions on how to access the audio files. Bandcamp supports both streaming and downloads.

Thanks, and looking forward to 31 days of hot opinions, wild guesses, and whatever else these 15 tracks inspire.

08/04/16: STREAMING BACKUP OPTION: http://slowstudies.net/bft149/

Edited by Joe

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a really good Blindfold Test. It features a lot of excellent bass playing, and on several tracks the influence of John Coltrane is felt. So it is right up my alley.

1.  I have no idea who is playing, but it is very beautiful playing. This is the kind of outstanding track, where I tend to buy the album after the Reveal.

2.  The bassist and drummer really sound a lot like Jimmy Garrison and Elvin Jones on "A Love Supreme". But the pianist is clearly from a much later time. I have no idea who it is but I like it.

3.  The bassist sounds like Richard Davis, with some of his characteristic phrases and sound. I am not placing this within the vast Richard Davis discography though. Another track which I like a lot.

4. This is outstanding! It sounds like a late 1950s or early 1960s group, but I am not familiar with them at all. I can't wait to find out who this is.

5. I hear Charlie Mariano, but I am not sure who else is playing. Another strong track.

6. This sounds like a European player to me, and one with whom I am not familiar.

7.  Excellent piano trio. I don't know who it is.

8.  This is George Russell's composition "Living Time Event V". I included it on my first Blindfold Test ever, in this version: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_Big_Band Stanley Cowell is the pianist in that version. Your track seems to be much more recent. A great track!

9. "You Don't Know What Love Is." I like the playing very much.

10. I like this solo bass playing a lot. I can't place who it is.

11. That is Julius Hemphill. I have heard enough of him to be able to identify him. I think this is from his 1970s era, when his albums were being released on Arista/Freedom. I can't place the album specifically though. Maybe I never had it.

12. This sounds like a Gato Barbieri disciple backed by a somewhat overwrought fusion band. I like it, but it is a little bit odd, especially the beginning.

13. I love this. I am not aware of who it is. I love the larger ensemble, then the excellent sax solo. I want to buy this!

14. "I Didn't Know What Time It Was", by excellent players who I enjoy. I don't know who they are.

15. The beginning sounds like a late John Coltrane album, so you had me at the beginning. I like this a lot.

As is often the case, I can't identify many of the musicians or albums, but I enjoyed this BFT a great deal, and look forward to other comments which I may learn from.

Thanks Hot Ptah.

A Coltrane influence is DEFINITELY in play with track 15.

Good ears on 5, 8 and 11.

The key to 2 might be in recognizing the tune / composition.

I'd not thought about the bass aspect of this, but, you're right, I did choose a few of these tracks based (pun intended) on who was manning "the doghouse."

Best,

J

Edited by Joe

6 hours ago, BillF said:

Thanks! That seems to be working.

Track 7

Changes sound very familiar. "Whispering"?

A different contrafact, but it may be based on the same chord changes.

6 hours ago, BillF said:

Track 13

Tenor solo Bob Cooper?

Track 14

Ahmad Jamal on a bad piano?

13: follow the Kentonite connections...

14: the pianist is not as well known as AJ for their bandleading, but this one comes from an LP issued under their name

17 hours ago, JSngry said:

Should the streaming page work on Android? I can load the page but the play buttons are, like, still images, they don't respond at all.

Afraid to say I've not tested this page on an Andriod device. However, any browser able to handle HTML5 should be capable of making the audio player embedded on this page work.

Track 5

Hot Ptah's identification of Charlie Mariano and my eventual recognition of the composition "The Vamp's Blues" which I recalled from Shelly Manne at the Black Hawk took me to my record collection (which isn't particularly big) and I found this:

image.jpg