Greatest Jazz Albums of All Time - Ranker

joshuakennedy

On 8/3/2018 at 6:36 PM, Chuck Nessa said:

Ignore this stuff and make your own lists. Then ask yourself why stuff other folks love isn't on your list. Sample, study and grow.

Good advice, or as another wise old teacher might say:

SSBe.gif

"This stuff and make your own lists ignore. Then on your list ask yourself why stuff other folks love is not.  Sample, study and grow."  

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3.8.2018 at 0:36 AM, Chuck Nessa said:

Then ask yourself why stuff other folks love isn't on your list.

Simple. Because tastes differ. Luckily. ;)

Which should not prevent anyone from exploring what he may have heard on others' turntables or playlists but makes this kind of LISTS just irrelevant. They are not nearly as "greatest" in a universally applicable way as anyone would think.

I just looked at this thread.  Shocked to see how many of my favorites are on the original list.  (Also a couple of selections I just never liked.)  I'd agree with all  who suggested that were some compilations of 78s  that made their mark when they were first issued  and mainly I'd add some Gil Evans. I also must admit that many of my choices are because they were the first Lps I bought of particular musicians.  Hence, for example, I'd take Mingus Ah Um over The Black Saint or Tijuana Moods.   

22 minutes ago, Brad said:

If you’re trying to establish a list of the best or perhaps essential jazz albums, that just strikes me as unusual. 

Well, unless a bunch of people vote for it (which seems unlikely), it will remain in relative obscurity toward the bottom of the list. 

5 minutes ago, JSngry said:

No Bill Barron?

I'm not familiar with him. Any particular albums you'd recommend?

21 minutes ago, medjuck said:

I just looked at this thread.  Shocked to see how many of my favorites are on the original list.  (Also a couple of selections I just never liked.)  I'd agree with all  who suggested that were some compilations of 78s  that made their mark when they were first issued  and mainly I'd add some Gil Evans. I also must admit that many of my choices are because they were the first Lps I bought of particular musicians.  Hence, for example, I'd take Mingus Ah Um over The Black Saint or Tijuana Moods.   

Glad you enjoyed the list. 

13 hours ago, joshuakennedy said:

Added that one to the list. 

Cool. An all time great album? I'm not sure, when I really think about it but I always found it enjoyable with excellent performances from Bags, Clark Terry and Lockjaw Davis.

Edited by CJ Shearn

36 minutes ago, Steve Reynolds said:

I think more historical lists just further marginalize phenomenal current improvised music even if that is even possible. How about discovering Rodrigo Amado or Mat Maneri or Ches Smith or Matt Mitchell or Darius Jones or even William Parker who is over 65 years old?

I give a second :tup on Parker, who has done some phenomenal work in recent years,

On 05/08/2016 at 7:10 PM, joshuakennedy said:

If it's one of your favorites, why can you not consider it great? 

That's a strange thing to say. It implies (perhaps unintentionally) that you try only to listen to records you think are great.

I think one joy of collecting music is to collect a lot of the rubbish people do, as well as their good stuff. You get a balanced view of their work then.

But, to me, the other joy is to deliberately seek out and find among the not terribly good, or even the pretty awful, albums I greatly love. But I don't feel it would be honest of me to think that, because they're favourites, they're good. They hit the spot for me, for reasons I frequently can't be bothered to explain to myself, and keep on doing so for years and years. Good VFM, is all I can say.

On 05/08/2016 at 7:10 PM, joshuakennedy said:

Music is very subjective and I don't think anyone can definitively say anything is "great" or "not great." 

Yes. Well, maybe. Er, probably no.

You have to have an objective for making any kind of judgement. That objective is the one YOU set, or the one you're TOLD to use (if for example you're a judge in a court).. But with the objective in mind, you can construct objective criteria. Then you set what you're judging up against those criteria.

Well, that's OK if you earn your living doing that, or get paid on the side for it. For just plain guys, it's all a bit bothersome.

As others have done, I think this list is greatly overloaded towards Blue Note. I have a lot more Prestige albums (483) than Blue Note (333) ones. Also it's a bit light on Atlantic, Argo/Cadet and Muse - don't think I saw even ONE Muse album in there. Those are the five biggest jazz labels in my collection.

I'm definitely not saying they're better than Blue Notes, but you need criteria. Read the sleeve notes for Gene Ammons' 'The happy blues' for an insight into what Bob Weinstock was trying to do as compared with what Alfred Lion and Francis Wolf  were up to. In particular, you know that Lion used Ike Quebec to supervise rehearsals then, after Ike's death, Duke Pearson. Prestige didn't have rehearsals. There are relatively few alternative takes for Prestige sessions. If a take was OK, Bob wouldn't get them to redo it perfectly; he wanted to capture moments of inspiration. You DON'T get that with Blue Note - you get remembered music, and remembered inspiration. But you get perfect stuff. OK, if that's what you want... 

MG

Not sure what that list is about ... if you want people to vote, why not compile a list of (fasten yer seatbelts!) all jazz albums (and compilations if you want to include jazz before 1950 as well) ever released? Obviously no one would go through the pains and vote then, but like this it suggests a kind of poll/majority thing, but the basis for it is totally botched.

Also, several albums are listed twice it seems (or the list keeps morphing while you add votes)?

On 8/8/2018 at 11:24 AM, medjuck said:

I suppose you could argue that Evans is reasonably well represented since so much of cool '50's jazz can be traced back to his influence.  

Edited by Dave James

4 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

So, what's the Plan 9 From Outer Space of jazz?

If I get you right, that film was so amateurish and badly put together it became a classic - a classic of crapness.

I don't think there CAN be such a thing as a jazz equivalent, because without exception jazz musicians can play - even Kenny G can play. If I were to make a jazz album, it would be Plan 9 stuff, because I can't play thou, like the director of the film, I've got terrific hackneyed ideas.

But if you don't really mean that, a couple of albums I really love, that are by bands that are not generally thought of, even by me, as being much better than about eighth class are

R-3351638-1326932452.jpeg.jpg

Jackie Ivory - Soul discovery

and

R-724649-1519912378-7384.jpeg.jpg

MG