Columbia's "Legendary Pioneers of Jazz CD series

mikeweil

I have two CDs from this Phil Schaap produced series:

Doc Cheatham: The eighty-seven years of Doc Cheatham (1993)

4191VETRR1L.jpg

Milt Hinton: Laughing at life (1995)

R-5330302-1390724256-4764.jpeg.jpg

What else was released in this series? As far as I can see, Alvin Battiste's CD Late (1993) was part of it (I don't have that one any more):

31WN7tl4SOL.jpg

Edited by mikeweil

I remember I had the Capers and the Battiste for some time ... was underwhelmed by the Capers mostly for the sound (although I love her writing and piano playing), and I am not much a fan of Battiste's clarinet style, so I sold both on occasion.

The Donaldson is new to me.

Not sure about the Mabern ... If the Mabern disc is titled "The leading man" (can't read it on that small cover pic) it's a compilation of tracks from two DIW CDs. 

Edited by mikeweil

This thread inspired me to pull it out and give it a listen once again.  It's a good, solid session, but then I am predisposed to liking Lou Donaldson.   Dr. Lonnie Smith is especially good and his organ sound is nicely recorded.  I don't know that any one would name this disc among their all-time favorites by Mr. Donaldson, but it's good.  Worth getting for a reasonable price, but certainly not worth paying an arm and a leg for it.