MJR Label

Dan Gould

I just scored some very inexpensive vinyl from a previously unknown label, MJR, Master Jazz Recordings:

Cliff Smalls Septet, Swing and Things (Norris Turney is on this one and I've heard the leader on a Black & Blue date or two)

Jimmy Rushing All-Stars, Gee Baby Ain't I Good To You

Jimmy Rushing All-Stars, Who Was it Sang That Song?

Wondering the derivation of these (are the Rushings reissues?) and if there are others of note on the label?

As always, thanks in advance!

Known label, if a small one. Two Roy Eldridge "Nifty Cat" records, and, I think(?) some JPJ Quartet items, a.o.

Here's what DG has/had: https://www.dustygroove.com/browse.php?label=133253&incl_oos=1&incl_cs=1&format=all

Those Rushing sides later saw reissue on...New World? Don't recall exactly, but the MJR issues are the original.

Dan,

I'm pretty sure that those Rushing recordings were originally done for MJR.  They've subsequently been reissued on New World.

Another notable MJR / New World reissue: Earl Hines' recordings of Duke Ellington's compositions. IIRC, there were 4 LPs issued originally, and those have been collected in New World's 3-CD set.

1408815078_66.png

Another excellent MJR / New World reissue: Roy Eldridge's The Nifty Cat.

MI0001459118.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

MJR recorded a bunch of swing-era greats back in the day. . .

EDIT:
For more info, see this thread: http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php?/topic/3227-master-jazz-recordings/

Edited by HutchFan

1 hour ago, Dan Gould said:

I just scored some very inexpensive vinyl from a previously unknown label, MJR, Master Jazz Recordings:

Cliff Smalls Septet, Swing and Things (Norris Turney is on this one and I've heard the leader on a Black & Blue date or two)

Jimmy Rushing All-Stars, Gee Baby Ain't I Good To You

Jimmy Rushing All-Stars, Who Was it Sang That Song?

Wondering the derivation of these (are the Rushings reissues?) and if there are others of note on the label?

As always, thanks in advance!

See previous thread about Master Jazz Records here:  http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php?/topic/3227-master-jazz-recordings/

Here's a list - I have only few, but love them.

1001E Budd Johnson New Communications In Jazz
8101 Earl Hines Blues And Things    
8102 Mitchell "Booty" Wood Hang in There    
8103 Don Byas        
8104 Jimmy Rushing Gee Baby, Ain't I Good To You    
8105 Earl Hines/Claude Hopkins/Cliff Jackson/Jay McShann/Sonny White Master Jazz Piano Vol 1    
8106 Julian Dash A Portrait Of Julian Dash
8107 Johnny Hodges A memory of Johnny Hodges
8108 Keith Dunham/Earl Hines/Jay McShann/Cliff Smalls/Sir Charles Thompson Master Jazz Piano, Vol. 2
8109 Earl Hines    
8110 Roy Eldridge The Nifty Cat    
8111 Budd Johnson/JPJ Quartet Montreux '71
8112 Harold Ashby
8113 Jay McShann Going To Kansas City
8114 Earl Hines    Earl Hines Plays Duke Ellington    
8115 Coleman Hawkins The High and Mighty Hawk
8116 Billy Strayhorn
8117 Keith Dunham/Gloria Hearn/Earl Hines/Sonny White/Teddy Wilson Master Jazz Piano, Vol. 3    
8118 Dicky Wells
8119 Budd Johnson Blues a la Mode    
8120 Jimmy Rushing Who Was It Sang That Song ?    
8121 Roy Eldridge The Nifty Cat Strikes West    
8122 Ram Ramirez Rampant Ram    
8123 Rex Stewart        
8124 Eric Dixon Eric's Edge    
8125 Buster Bailey
8126 Earl Hines Plays Duke Ellington, Vol. 2 & 3
8127 Buddy Tate    
8128 Buddy Tate The Texas Twister    
8129 Gloria Hearn/Earl Hines/Cliff Jackson/Jay McShann/Cliff Smalls Master Jazz Piano, Vol. 4    
8130 Norris Turney/Snooky Young The Boys From Dayton    
8131 Cliff Smalls Swing & Things    
8132 Earl Hines    Earl Hines Plays Duke Ellington (Piano Solos, Vol 4)    

AFAIK most recordings were originally done for the label; some were reissued on CD on New World.

8121, bought that one on a purely WTF? basis, didn't realize until reading the liners that it was a neat (ok, nifty) additional documentation of Roy's brief stint with Basie, which for all I know is otherwise only documented on Broadway,  Basie's Way, and, uh....yeah. Have fun with that, but 8121 is sooooo much more better. More. And better.