John Coltrane with Johnny Hodges 1954

medjuck

Has this been discussed before?:

I just learned about it on a Duke Ellington Facebook group.  I thought it was eye-opening.  Coltrane's solo on the first cut reminds me of something  he might have  played with Monk.  He's not  very interesting  on Castle Rock  (so much for those who dismissed him as a honker--   he's not a very good honker).  In a Mellow Tone suggests his early style with Miles was fully formed a year or so before he first joined the quintet. 

BTW Which forum should this be on?  Broadcasts? 

This is a Boris Rose recording.  The original issue is https://www.discogs.com/Johnny-Hodges-At-A-Dance-In-A-Studio-On-Radio/release/4429593

Date and location has traditionally been given as Los Angeles, June-early July 1954.  It's been re-bootlegged numerous times.  Coltrane recorded commercially with Hodges but those records have no Coltrane solos.

• 1 year later...
On 26.1.2018 at 7:35 AM, Gheorghe said:

A long time ago I think I purchased a strange Coltrane LP Box with 5 LPs, and I think they all were rare broadcasts, no studio recordings. And the first LP had the whole Johnny Hodges Material . I also remember "Mellow Tone" as the most successful track of it.

Do you mean this?

31648541on.jpg

31648553vm.jpg

JOHN COLTRANE: THE LEGENDARY MASTERS. UNISSUED OR RARE - 1951-58. RARELP 11 [1998]