Allan Barnes (1949-2016)

Mark Stryker

I only spoke to saxophonist Allan Barnes once, so I didn't really know him, but I always enjoyed hearing him play. I learned a few things in putting together this obituary -- that when Barnes was in Vietnam playing in an army band, the saxophonist he replaced in the group was Henry Threadgill (!) and that Barnes once recorded a disco-samba version of "Giant Steps" (link embedded in obit). I was also not aware that his credits included co-writing songs 20 years apart for the disco group A Taste of Honey and rapper R. Kelly, and that he had recorded a funky dance record in the 70s called "Freedom Serenade" with a group known as Malone & Barnes and Spontaneous Simplicity (whose name, "Spontaneous Simplicity," was derived from a Sun Ra composition.)

When I was younger I used to dismiss music like this out of hand. It's still not to my taste, but I've learned to appreciate something like this for its craftwork and the way it fulfills its function -- and some of the edgier tracks on "Freedom Serenade" are seriously killin' dance grooves. Mostly, however, I've come to understand how special the lives are of foot soldiers like Barnes, whose music I may not always gravitate too but whose lifelong commitment, passion and very survival should never be taken for granted -- particularly in a world that doesn't make it easy on anyone in it for the long haul. R.I.P.

http://www.freep.com/story/entertainment/music/2016/07/28/allan-barnes-saxophonist-obituary/87628024/

1 hour ago, jazztrain said:

Sorry to hear the news.  RIP.

He shows up on a number of nice sessions on the Zephyr label.  May give one of them a spin later.

You're confusing him with Alan Barnes, the British saxophonist.  I am a big Donald Byrd fan, but I haven't gotten around yet to Black Byrd or the The Blackbyrds.  It's sad to see Detroit lose another respected musician.  Rest in peace, Mr. Barnes.

1 hour ago, Justin V said:

You're confusing him with Alan Barnes, the British saxophonist.  I am a big Donald Byrd fan, but I haven't gotten around yet to Black Byrd or the The Blackbyrds.  It's sad to see Detroit lose another respected musician.  Rest in peace, Mr. Barnes.

Coda: This gets particularly confusing in looking up stuff online because "Allan" is so often misspelled and the Detroit Allan and the English Alan were both born in 1959.

So that was him on "Walking In Rhythm", eh? I still hear that one, even in the grocery store.

Not everybody can make that kind of connection. Just remember that there's a time to be alone and a time to be together.

RIP, and excuse me if I dance a little on the cereal aisle the next time that song comes on.