Elvin LaFaro On Atco

JSngry

Yeah, YouTube poster factually erratic, Elvis dead-on right.

It's a nifty record, not a "great " one, more like a funner than usual day at the office because Thad and Hank brought their kid brother to work again, and you know how that kid freshens the air everywhere he goes.

And LaFaro,  never really "loved" him, but this is a guy who chose his way with no flaming malice towards that which which brung him.

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

. Plus Elvin, always.

One of the great Robert Christgau album reviews (though, from what I remember, I can't stand the album itself):

The Insect Trust: Hoboken Saturday Night [Atco, 1970]
Thomas Pynchon, Louis "Moondog" Hardin, and an unidentified child (who else would say "busketty" for "spaghetti"?) are among the guest composers, Elvin Jones and an unidentified child among the guest musicians. Former president James Garfield makes a cameo appearance. Vocalist Nancy Jeffries applies her tobacco voice to a feminist lyric called "Trip on Me" that I recommend to Janis Joplin. The blues scholars in the group have been listening to a lot of Arabic and Eastern European music lately, but this doesn't stop Elvin Jones from sounding just like Elvin Jones. In short, these passionate humanists also sound friendly and have come up with a charming, joyous, irrepressibly experimental record. And every experiment works. A

I like the Insect Trust record very much; even bought the Collectors' Choice CD reissue.  It's much better than their first album on Capitol.  I actually saw them open for The Mothers and Seatrain at the Fillmore East.  Don't remember the drummer that night, but am sure it wasn't Elvin.

How many more Atco records was Elvin ever on?

And please don't tell me he was on some Nino Temple & April Stevenson record.

Just wondering...jazz on Atco, beboppy jazz, Who else besides Betty Carter & this? And the BC side was not hardcore. So other than a White Guy Plays Broadway Jazz thene, how did this get made for Atco? With Elvin LaFaro? And on some cuts, a piano=less quartet? And Barbara Long?What the hell made all THAT happen?

To be honest, I had never heard of this Geller record until two weeks ago, and then totally by accident. Georgie Poodles has put it out on CD, so...it's available.

And Bobby Darrin. And Nino/April. And Bee-Gees first hits. And  a Beatles 45. And a 45 of "Substitute". Probably an accountant's wet nightmare, I'll bet.

You get an old Atco inner sleeve and look at the shit that's on it, its almost like, if we put all of this out on Atlantic, we could never again sell blackmusicrecords with ANY credibilitywhatsoever. Maintain cred, get some hits, have massive writeoffs (whiteoffs!),  yeah,  Atco. 

All that and Elvin LaFaro too. God do i love America! Seriously.

7 hours ago, felser said:

One of the great Robert Christgau album reviews (though, from what I remember, I can't stand the album itself):

The Insect Trust: Hoboken Saturday Night [Atco, 1970]
Thomas Pynchon, Louis "Moondog" Hardin, and an unidentified child (who else would say "busketty" for "spaghetti"?) are among the guest composers, Elvin Jones and an unidentified child among the guest musicians. Former president James Garfield makes a cameo appearance. Vocalist Nancy Jeffries applies her tobacco voice to a feminist lyric called "Trip on Me" that I recommend to Janis Joplin. The blues scholars in the group have been listening to a lot of Arabic and Eastern European music lately, but this doesn't stop Elvin Jones from sounding just like Elvin Jones. In short, these passionate humanists also sound friendly and have come up with a charming, joyous, irrepressibly experimental record. And every experiment works. A

Smart review ....

Edited by soulpope

Atco was a label set up for Herb Abramson, one of the founders of Atlantic, who was in the army from 1953 to 1955. When he returned, he was given the reins at Atco, but his tastes were in touch with an older, more hard core r&b and blues style of music. Abramson signed Bobby Darin to the label, but didn't have any success producing him, probably because he wasn't in touch with pop tastes. He ended up selling his interest in Atco to his ex-wife, became an independent producer. and opened a recording studio. In the 60's, he produced Tommy Tucker's hit "High Heeled Sneakers", and later produced a good album by Louisiana Red that, interestingly, was released on Atco.

10 hours ago, GA Russell said:

Wasn't some Sonny and Cher on Atco?  Like maybe the one where she is listed as "Cleo?"

"I Got You Babe" and the rest of their good 60's work was on Atco.  The Caeser and Cleo singles were on Vault and Reprise.  The excellent 60's Cher solo stuff was on Imperial.  

On 30.7.2016 at 3:45 AM, JSngry said:

Just wondering...jazz on Atco, beboppy jazz, Who else besides Betty Carter & this? And the BC side was not hardcore.

The only jazz LP on Atco I can find besides Carter and Geller are two by Sir Roland Hanna. And, several years later, Sonny Sharrock's Paradise ... go figure.