Blindfold Test #148 - The Reveal

tkeith

Quite a bit of my listening time these days comes during my commute.  What I’ll do is make notes when something really strikes me and add it to a list of songs for the next BFT.  I’ve taken to loading my iPod with tunes by clicking play on a song set to shuffle, then forwarding.  This gives me an eclectic mix of my collection and forces me to listen to some of the stuff hidden in the corners.  

01 - Dick Cheney  The Soggy Po’ Boys  (2013) Seedy Business

Mike Effenberger - piano, Stu Dias - vocals, Jim Rudolf - drums, Nick Mainella - clarinet, Zach Lange - trumpet, Colin Mainella - trumpet (solo), Eric Klaxton - tenor saxophone, Claude Fried - sousaphone, Matt Young - clarinet (solo)

This is a local band of young-ish (mid-30s and lower) guys who play ALL sorts of music.  This is one of their projects.  They’re a lot of fun to see live and I just love this tune.

02 - Into A Fantasy  Cecil McBee  (1982) Flying Out

John Blake - violin; David Eyges - cello; Cecil McBee - bass

McBee is my all-time favorite bassist and something about this track really struck me.  It’s not “Jazz” but it certainly is creative, interesting and thoughtful music.  

03 - Arise Automaton  Chris Klaxton  (2015) Collage

Chris Klaxton - trumpet, Taylor O’Donnell - voice, Mark Small - tenor sax, Kendall Moore - trombone, Tim Jago - guitar, Mike Effenberger - rhodes, Michael Piolet - drums, Sam Weber - bass

Chris is really the backbone of the local music scene in the New Hampshire seacoast right now.  He’s creative, interesting, talented and a super good guy.  We did a session this spring and he handed me this, a copy of his latest effort.  I really like what this band is doing.  

04 - You’re Looking At Me  Bill Saxton  (1991) Live At The Henkelmann Jazz Club, Vol. 1

Bill Saxton - tenor sax, Christof Sänger - piano, Christian v. Kaphengst - bass, Heinrich Köbberling - drums

Bill Saxton is one of those guys I like, but see in the second or third tier.  It seems like I enjoy him because I identify with his struggles as a player.  However, I just think this is a beautiful ballad.

05 - Nommo  Max Roach  (1966) Drums Unlimited

James Spaulding - alto sax, Freddie Hubbard - trumpet, Ronnie Mathews - piano, Jymmie Merritt - bass, Max Roach - drums

This one probably wasn’t going to fool anybody, but it is SUCH a bitch of a tune!  Had to include it.

06 - Sister Caroline  Nat Adderley  (1958) Branchin’ Out

Nat Adderley - cornet, Johnny Griffin - tenor sax, Gene Harris - piano, Andy Simpkins - bass, Bill Dowdy - drums

J-Griff fools nobody.  This came on the rotation and I just had to include a cut.  No surprises this would be good when you look at the personnel.  

07 - Ballad For Old Souls  Muhal Richard Abrams (1972) Things To Come From Those Now Gone

Muhal Richard Abrams - piano, Rufus Reid - bass, Emmanuel Cranshaw - vibes

Another one that just caught my ear in the car.  Beautiful song.  

08 - Rain Is Coming  Hamid Drake/Albert Beger/William Parker  (2005) Evolving Silence Vol. 1

William Parker - bass, Africa hunter’s harp; Hamid Drake - drums, percussion, Albert Beger - tenor saxophone

I love William Parker and Hamid Drake.  I discovered these collaborations while trying to fill in some gaps in my collection.  The world needs more of this music.

09 - In A Sentimental Mood  Elvin Jones Jazz Machine  (1980) Soul Train

Ari Brown - tenor saxophone, Marvin Horn - guitar, Andy McCloud - bass, Elvin Jones - drums

Andrew White also appears on this record, meaning there is a LOT of tenor.  This was posted on FB and blew my away.  I love Ari Brown and really don’t understand why he gets no love from the Jazz community.  Though, that seems to be something afflicting the Chicago community in general. 

10 - Three Gymnopedies, No. 1  Mal Waldron  (1984) Plays Eric Satie

Mal Waldron - piano, Reggie Workman - bass, Ed Blackwell - drums

Come on.  Someone once commented (perhaps here), “I’d listen to Mal Waldron set his drink on the table.”  A former student hipped me to this album and boy am I glad he did.  

11 - Round Midnight  Max Roach  (1981) Chattahoochee Red

Cecil Bridgewater - trumpet, Odean Pope - tenor sax, Calvin Hill - bass, Max Roach - drums

This is the second time I’ve gone to this well for a blindfold test.  I love this record and can’t understand why it’s never found its way to CD (what gives, Columbia?).  In my opinion, it is the best of the albums produced by this band.

Hopefully this provided a balance of identifiable and challenging.  Thanks to all who participated.

My CD collection loves Ari Brown, I have several he plays on, as a leader and in the Ritual Trio.  I agree that he should get a lot more love, as should Andrew White for that matter.  Brown's playing on that track is so mature, I just assumed it must be the older White, who I thought was a good bit older.  I only picked up on Brown in this century, so need to go see what he was doing in the 70's and 80's.  As far as the Roach Columbia, you would think that at least it would have come out on CD in Japan, but no.  I also love that Abrams, actually have it, but missed ID'ing it.  I have a whole lot of Parker in the house, he is a monster.

Saw both Roach groups live - the one with Hubbard and Spaulding in the autumn of 1966 and the other with Bridgewater and Pope in 1981. The first didn't leave much of an impression due to Rollins and Ayler playing that same night. Wasn't overly enthusiastic about the second either, although it was always good to hear Max of course.

14 hours ago, tkeith said:

Quite a bit of my listening time these days comes during my commute.  What I’ll do is make notes when something really strikes me and add it to a list of songs for the next BFT.  I’ve taken to loading my iPod with tunes by clicking play on a song set to shuffle, then forwarding.  This gives me an eclectic mix of my collection and forces me to listen to some of the stuff hidden in the corners.  

01 - Dick Cheney  The Soggy Po’ Boys  (2013) Seedy Business

Mike Effenberger - piano, Stu Dias - vocals, Jim Rudolf - drums, Nick Mainella - clarinet, Zach Lange - trumpet, Colin Mainella - trumpet (solo), Eric Klaxton - tenor saxophone, Claude Fried - sousaphone, Matt Young - clarinet (solo)

This is a local band of young-ish (mid-30s and lower) guys who play ALL sorts of music.  This is one of their projects.  They’re a lot of fun to see live and I just love this tune.

02 - Into A Fantasy  Cecil McBee  (1982) Flying Out

John Blake - violin; David Eyges - cello; Cecil McBee - bass

McBee is my all-time favorite bassist and something about this track really struck me.  It’s not “Jazz” but it certainly is creative, interesting and thoughtful music.  

Oh my! John Blake!  I saw him perform with McCoy Tyner several times, always very compelling and enjoyable. I had no idea that he had recorded something like this. I saw Cecil McBee with Chico Freeman and with the Leaders, and have many albums that he plays on. Again, I did not know that he had recorded something like this.

03 - Arise Automaton  Chris Klaxton  (2015) Collage

Chris Klaxton - trumpet, Taylor O’Donnell - voice, Mark Small - tenor sax, Kendall Moore - trombone, Tim Jago - guitar, Mike Effenberger - rhodes, Michael Piolet - drums, Sam Weber - bass

Chris is really the backbone of the local music scene in the New Hampshire seacoast right now.  He’s creative, interesting, talented and a super good guy.  We did a session this spring and he handed me this, a copy of his latest effort.  I really like what this band is doing.  

I have never heard of any of these guys, but now want to get this album. I love this style of music, and they play it very well.

04 - You’re Looking At Me  Bill Saxton  (1991) Live At The Henkelmann Jazz Club, Vol. 1

Bill Saxton - tenor sax, Christof Sänger - piano, Christian v. Kaphengst - bass, Heinrich Köbberling - drums

Bill Saxton is one of those guys I like, but see in the second or third tier.  It seems like I enjoy him because I identify with his struggles as a player.  However, I just think this is a beautiful ballad.

That is a beautiful recording. Another musician I had never heard of. Very interesting.

05 - Nommo  Max Roach  (1966) Drums Unlimited

James Spaulding - alto sax, Freddie Hubbard - trumpet, Ronnie Mathews - piano, Jymmie Merritt - bass, Max Roach - drums

This one probably wasn’t going to fool anybody, but it is SUCH a bitch of a tune!  Had to include it.

06 - Sister Caroline  Nat Adderley  (1958) Branchin’ Out

Nat Adderley - cornet, Johnny Griffin - tenor sax, Gene Harris - piano, Andy Simpkins - bass, Bill Dowdy - drums

J-Griff fools nobody.  This came on the rotation and I just had to include a cut.  No surprises this would be good when you look at the personnel.  

07 - Ballad For Old Souls  Muhal Richard Abrams (1972) Things To Come From Those Now Gone

Muhal Richard Abrams - piano, Rufus Reid - bass, Emmanuel Cranshaw - vibes

Another one that just caught my ear in the car.  Beautiful song.  

Oh man! I have this album, but don't remember much about it (obviously). I will have to pull it out and play it now. That is a very beautiful song.

08 - Rain Is Coming  Hamid Drake/Albert Beger/William Parker  (2005) Evolving Silence Vol. 1

William Parker - bass, Africa hunter’s harp; Hamid Drake - drums, percussion, Albert Beger - tenor saxophone

I love William Parker and Hamid Drake.  I discovered these collaborations while trying to fill in some gaps in my collection.  The world needs more of this music.

I don't think I bought this album when I bought my William Parker collection from Scott Black on ebay. You can count on a recording with Parker and Drake sounding good.

09 - In A Sentimental Mood  Elvin Jones Jazz Machine  (1980) Soul Train

Ari Brown - tenor saxophone, Marvin Horn - guitar, Andy McCloud - bass, Elvin Jones - drums

Andrew White also appears on this record, meaning there is a LOT of tenor.  This was posted on FB and blew my away.  I love Ari Brown and really don’t understand why he gets no love from the Jazz community.  Though, that seems to be something afflicting the Chicago community in general. 

Ari Brown is special. I think that many jazz lovers know about him. I have a lot of Elvin Jones albums but somehow missed this one.

10 - Three Gymnopedies, No. 1  Mal Waldron  (1984) Plays Eric Satie

Mal Waldron - piano, Reggie Workman - bass, Ed Blackwell - drums

Come on.  Someone once commented (perhaps here), “I’d listen to Mal Waldron set his drink on the table.”  A former student hipped me to this album and boy am I glad he did.  

I heard that Satie composition on the "Blood Sweat and Tears" album when I was 13. I took a classical music appreciation class in college, and the T.A. played a classical artist's recording of this composition for our small group. I immediately shouted out, "oh, that is the song that Blood, Sweat and Tears did!" The T.A. looked stricken, really pained, as she said, "oh......huge sigh.......I like what Blood Sweat and Tears did with it.......huge sigh."  

Cecil Bridgewater - trumpet, Odean Pope - tenor sax, Calvin Hill - bass, Max Roach - drums

This is the second time I’ve gone to this well for a blindfold test.  I love this record and can’t understand why it’s never found its way to CD (what gives, Columbia?).  In my opinion, it is the best of the albums produced by this band.

Hopefully this provided a balance of identifiable and challenging.  Thanks to all who participated.

Great, great Blindfold Test, Thom! Thanks for choosing such enjoyable music!

13 hours ago, Caravan said:

Saw both Roach groups live - the one with Hubbard and Spaulding in the autumn of 1966 and the other with Bridgewater and Pope in 1981. The first didn't leave much of an impression due to Rollins and Ayler playing that same night. Wasn't overly enthusiastic about the second either, although it was always good to hear Max of course.

The best part of the Bridgewater/Pope Roach groups for me was Tyrone Brown.  He is a beast on bass, also a gracious guy when I met him.  Pope and Brown, along with Eddie Green and Sherman Ferguson, made up Catalyst, a great early 70's Philly group.  Brown played with my friend Ruth Naomi Floyd for awhile.  He was really good in and of himself, but the right bass player for what she does has proven to be a guy named Matthew Parrish.  Bobby Zankel, Bryan Carrott, and James Weidman have all played major roles in her concerts and recordings at different times.  Zankel at first clashed with her so badly in musical terms, but was able to adapt beautifully over time.  Weidman was her musical director for awhile, and did really nice work for her.  I've never been big on either of the Bridgewater brothers, though I consider Dee Dee a major artist, but Roach obviously liked what Cecil brought to the table.  Pope is what he is, take it or leave it, but again, Roach seemed to appreciate him.  Billy Harper is, of course, an  impossible act to follow anyways.

20 hours ago, tkeith said:

Is it possible that Max Roach held the rights to this, and now his estate does?

3 hours ago, Spontooneous said:

Maybe, but wouldn't bet on it.  After all, the nearly contemporary M'Boom album made it to CD.

Which is really strange that M'Boom would make it to CD and this one, far superior, wouldn't.

Edited by felser