Unusual artist listings in alpha of my collection

Chuck Nessa

9 hours ago, JohnS said:

I use Excel.  Basic details only,  Artist, title, label and notes.  Separate database for cds and vinyl..

I use Excel too.  It's all in one file though -- with a column for media format (LP, CD, CD-R, DL).   Right now, only my jazz records are cataloged -- but that's well over half of my music collection.

8 hours ago, soulpope said:

"Database" in my head only ;) .... has the bonus that all data stored are interlinked with personal memories ....

I used to be able to keep track of it in my head. Not anymore. . . Too many records for my almost 50-year-old brain! ;) 

I use Excel, but just for LPs, not CDs.  I did it primarily to have a list for insurance. I placed a grade on both the cover and vinyl (visual only).  Also indicated whether it was an original or reissue and if original, some basics on the label.  It was a tedious task but figure it will be useful if I ever have a loss or I kick the bucket and someone other than me will need to sell the collection.

2 hours ago, HutchFan said:

I used to be able to keep track of it in my head. Not anymore. . . Too many records for my almost 50-year-old brain! ;) 

The beauty of this status includes the suprise of finding discs (ideally BEFORE buying them a 2nd .... or 3rd time ....) you didn't remember having obtained before ....

1 hour ago, soulpope said:

The beauty of this status includes the suprise of finding discs (ideally BEFORE buying them a 2nd .... or 3rd time ....) you didn't remember having obtained before ....

LOL. I hear you!

Back to Chuck's orginal topic. . .  How about:
- Von Freeman
- David Friedman
- Don Friedman
- David Friesen

These names caught my eye for their phonetic similarities -- not for any musical reasons.  They have a sort of poetic structure, with interlocking rhymes and sound repetitions.

Edited by HutchFan

2 hours ago, soulpope said:

Oh yes indeed, you are of this world! Especially your comment: "ideally BEFORE buying them a 2nd ... or 3rd time ...!"

3 hours ago, Eric said:

I use Excel, but just for LPs, not CDs.  I did it primarily to have a list for insurance. I placed a grade on both the cover and vinyl (visual only).  Also indicated whether it was an original or reissue and if original, some basics on the label.  It was a tedious task but figure it will be useful if I ever have a loss or I kick the bucket and someone other than me will need to sell the collection.

same here.

I need to list the CDs that I'm keeping as well... which at this point, isn't all that many compared to what I had before...

• 5 weeks later...

I don't have much in the way of strange combinations on my shelves, as I file everything by genre, though there are two of each genre now, as I'm keeping the ones ripped to my hard drive separate from those yet to be done. This makes finding a record to actually PLAY it somewhat problematical because, without looking at my computer, I often can't remember which is on it and which ain't.

But in my database - I use Access - I just opened it up and there, a dozen albums down, found Abbey Lincoln between the AARC Mass Choir and Abdoulaye Diabate. A couple of pages down, there was Aicha Kone between Ahmad Jamal and the Air Light Swingsters. And Al Green between Al Casey and Al Grey. Also, Alicia Keys between Ali Farka Toure and Alioune Kasse, Alioune Mbaye Nder and Alpha Blondy. On the same page, there's Alphadio Dara, Alvin Queen, Alvin 'Red' Tyler and Alvin Robinson.

I'm certain a very large number odd propinquity combinations abound in the database.

MG

My hard drive's not big enough to hold it all. About 52% on HD now but not much room left for other stuff so I only keep stuff I want to shove onto the iPod on the main drive; the rest is on externals.

Anyway, iTunes suffers from the usual Apple complaint - anti-human assumptions shoved in there so it doesn't look like Microsoft - so I use it as little as possible.

MG

PS  Every album I've ever had is on the database so I could export everything to a spreadsheet if I wanted, I just don't want to.

LPs and CDs in this house are not in any order,
but Ken Colyer could've had a harder time with where
he's placed in my iTunes collection (loyal user since 2001
and still lovin' it). If you go by the first name, on one side,
he's preceded by Ken Chaney and Ken Christie and the Sunday People
and on t'other side he's followed by Ken "Marty Hopkirk" Cope 
and Ken "Festus" Curtis.

As for databases, I don't use any, but the program director
at the radio station that gets my show wants one, so I just
use the ultra-simple iTunes to easy format for spreadsheets.

Edited by rostasi