Herbie and Chick

Tom 1960

Also, there's the whole time/place thing...at the time it there was a big "wow, after all the pop and fusion, they can still play!" aura about the tour and the records, which was really exploitative of how superficial people's understanding of the whats and whys about what had been happening, but it worked. That tour asked and got big bucks iirc.

It's not the records that could have been made in 1969, but otoh, put those two in a duet setting in 1969 and I don't know that you'd get any kind of a record, much less a big money tour.

So yes, OK music, very expansive, just don't expect any kind of edginess or breakthroughs or anything out of either guy that hadn't already happened.

All that to say that it's "historic" but not in the way the hype would have had you believe.

Agreed, it was a retro move, and even seemed like it then.  I saw them at the Tower Theatre in Philly back then.  Good show, didn't change my life.  I saw RTF with Corea/DiMeola/Clarke/Williams at Playhouse in the Park, maybe a year or two before, and that did more for me.  As did 'Land of Make Believe' era Chuck Mangione, with Gap, Gerry Niewood, Esther Satterfield et al, also at Playhouse in the Park.

Edited by felser

I guess I would say that nothing happened on either of those records that made me wish that either one of those guys would go back to playing just that type of thing. No matter how good it was, it was not all they could do, or all they wanted to do. Which...is kinda why they stopped doing it to begin with. But they still come back to it, because, you know, what was that line from that Donny Hathaway song, you don't have to look 'cause you know it's there. Leon Ware song, actually, Donny Hathaway record.

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

I guess I would say that nothing happened on either of those records that made me wish that either one of those guys would go back to playing just that type of thing. No matter how good it was, it was not all they could do, or all they wanted to do. Which...is kinda why they stopped doing it to begin with. But they still come back to it, because, you know, what was that line from that Donny Hathaway song, you don't have to look 'cause you know it's there. Leon Ware song, actually, Donny Hathaway record.

From 'Extensions of a Man"

Side 4 of the Columbia set was recorded in Ann Arbor in my neck of the woods. Herbie & Chick played the same hall in 2015 -- 37 years later. It was a fun night -- once or twice they really went deep and it was like "Holy Shit!" -- but mostly it was just a loose (in best and worst sense) evening of old friends doing what they do. Great spirit about it all though. If you have a chance to hear them live together, I'd take it provided it doesn't cost you next month's rent. Being at the concert is better than the records. I mean, that's often the case (though not always) but definitely with Herbie and Chick playing duos.

Here's a childhood memory. I saw Herbie and Chick on the Mike Douglas Show on TV. They played "Liza," and they played "I Let a Song Go Out of My Heart" with Mike Douglas singing with them. There was also a brief interview with them in which Douglas prompted each of them play bits of a "hit" -- I don't remember what Chick played, but Herbie played a taste of "Maiden Voyage" as I recall and Douglas (clearly reading from a card) said something like, "Your composition 'Maiden Voyage' is regarded as a jazz standard ..." At the end of the show, Douglas said to them that because they were both such great improvisers, he wanted them to play quick little improvised character sketches of the other guests on the show that day. I don't remember who they were.

I have never seen this show up on youtube, But it happened. Scout's honor.

Coda: I think this is literally the first time they played a duet together: "Soundstage" -- Chicago, 1974. 

6 hours ago, JSngry said:

What I'd like to see is that Yardley commercial that spawned "Maiden Voyage", Does that even exist?

+1. Same goes for the Eastern Airlines commercial that spawned "You'll know when you get there", or the Silva Thins commercial that was the precursor to "He who lives in fear". Never found any of these, but Herbs seems to have been a business-savvy jingle composer in the mid to late 60s...

7 hours ago, soulpope said:

Saw them at that time in concert - and as they were booked together with a Jeff Beck Group (can't remember the musicians) it was easy to pick the Hancock/Corea "retro" approach as a clear winner .....

For Beck, it was all downhill after "Happenings Ten Years Time Ago" as far as I am concerned.  The other guitarist on that record did OK for himself afterwards....

oh my God how young they was then, Herbie and Chick.

Sure I saw them, it might have been around 1978 or so, right ?

the recommended album was a classic, see: There was some albums that you were supposed to have when I was a youngster: Bitches Brew, Aghartha (Miles)  Red Clay (Hubbard), Super Trios (McCoy), "Tempest at the Colloseum" (VSOP), "Romantic Warrior" (Return to Forever), and "Herbie and Chick". If you had those albums....at least on tape (since many  of us couldn´t afford to buy albums, they borrowed em to have it on tape, then someone borrowed the tape and made another tape from it....... that was my school-time......

4 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

oh my God how young they was then, Herbie and Chick.

Sure I saw them, it might have been around 1978 or so, right ?

the recommended album was a classic, see: There was some albums that you were supposed to have when I was a youngster: Bitches Brew, Aghartha (Miles)  Red Clay (Hubbard), Super Trios (McCoy), "Tempest at the Colloseum" (VSOP), "Romantic Warrior" (Return to Forever), and "Herbie and Chick". If you had those albums....at least on tape (since many  of us couldn´t afford to buy albums, they borrowed em to have it on tape, then someone borrowed the tape and made another tape from it....... that was my school-time......

Funny - but good - old times ...