Recent big band recommendations

Milestones

I'm curious to know what people like in this area.

I have recently been checking out the two big band by records by Christine Jensen. There is some really nice stuff--interesting arrangements, strong soloing (especially by sister Ingrid Jensen).

Otherwise...well, Gerald Wilson is now deceased and Carla Bley does't seem to do big band records anymore.

I have not been able to catch the fever on Maria Schneider.  Maybe I should keep trying.

Picked up this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Night-Suite-Tomaro-Three-Rivers/dp/B0007989QQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1470853574&sr=1-1&keywords=mike+tomaro

for $2 used a while back (it's from 2004) and was impressed -- by the writing, the quality of the band, and the solo work. Got in touch by email with leader composer-arranger Mike Tomoro and mentioned that some aspects of his writing (particularly his writing for saxes) reminded of Jim McNeely. He said I was on target there, which was nice. There's a second album by the band, which I need to pick up.

I really enjoy John Hollenbeck's larger orchestral pieces - recognisably out of the jazz tradition but with a contemporary feel (though you might want to try before buying with his last two - arrangements of 'pop' songs with vocals which won't suit all. I love them). 

I also really like the orchestral jazz that Bob Brookmeyer wrote towards the end of his life - doesn't get mentioned much. But you can hear his influence in Schneider and Hollenbeck.

I also like those O'Farrills. In the Latin vein I also greatly enjoy Guillermo Klein's arrangements. 

I've enjoyed those Christine Jensen's too. Looking forward to seeing her next week in a small Anglo-Canadian group in London.  

6 hours ago, Milestones said:

I'm curious to know what people like in this area.

I have recently been checking out the two big band by records by Christine Jensen. There is some really nice stuff--interesting arrangements, strong soloing (especially by sister Ingrid Jensen).

Otherwise...well, Gerald Wilson is now deceased and Carla Bley does't seem to do big band records anymore.

I have not been able to catch the fever on Maria Schneider.  Maybe I should keep trying.

You should keep trying. Maria Schneider is great IMHO.

Also agree re: the Gil Evans Project CDs.

Agreed on Schneider!

As for Mark Masters, other than the Grachan Moncur disc (thanks, brownie! :D), I have one with Lee Konitz but am honestly not sure I ever played it yet.

I also like this Swiss guy, Kaspar Ewald ... not sure he has any recent releases out, have two of his albums from around 10 years ago:

18 hours ago, BillF said:

My favorites are the Vanguard Jazz Orchestra (pianist Michael Weiss posts here) and the John Fedchock New York Big Band.

Yes, for sure, plus I agree with the recommendations of the Ryan Truesdell Gil Evans Project CD's. Excellent.

And I'll probably get sanctioned for this one.  But it's very, very good IMHO. Just forget who it's by and enjoy!

91NOHEFXHPL._SY355_.jpg

Edited by John Tapscott

Like the Mark Masters Konitz. As for Maria Schneider, a longtime member of her band once said to a friend of mine (a fellow musician), "It's Constant Comment music'" -- i.e. the scented tea. Have enjoyed several of the fairly recent Vanguard Orchestra albums. Wrote notes for one of all McNeely works that was outstanding. Likewise, veteran NYC trumpeter Tony Kadleck's "Around the Horn." Kadleck has Thad-like but also quite individual writing chops, especially for reeds. Thinking of Kadleck's album, one of the key criteria for me is that there be some powerful musical reason for assembling 18-or-so players -- these days that isn't always the case. With Kadleck, it's there from note one.

The biggest of them all has a new one out:

Fire! Orchestra - "Ritual"

the first two, "Exit" and "Enter" from 2013 & 2014 are amazing, original recordings of the huge ensemble of seemingly disparate pieces. I especially love the singing which was initially shocking and overwhelming to me.

I believe that an open mind to this band is thoroughly necessary to allow one to hear this music. 

One of the current bands I'd love to see live more than just about any other band - it would take a trip across the Atlantic to make that happen.

Edited by Steve Reynolds

14 hours ago, John Tapscott said:

Yes, for sure, plus I agree with the recommendations of the Ryan Truesdell Gil Evans Project CD's. Excellent.

And I'll probably get sanctioned for this one.  But it's very, very good IMHO. Just forget who it's by and enjoy!

91NOHEFXHPL._SY355_.jpg

Yes to all of the above--the Truesdells are both excellent, as is Live In Cuba.  I also liked Miguel Zenon's Identities Are Changeable... great topic, I'll try to think of some more.

• 2 weeks later...