Erroll Garner: Ready Take One

crisp

Following the expanded Concert by the Sea Sony is releasing a CD of 14 previously unreleased Erroll Garner tracks in September. Details below taken from the Second Disc website.

Following the success of last year’s Complete Concert by the Sea, Legacy Recordings has another special release planned for fans of late jazz legend Erroll Garner.  On September 30, the label will release Garner’s Ready Take One, presenting fourteen previously unreleased selections by Garner released between 1967 and 1971.  This is the first album of all-new Garner material to be released in almost 25 years.

The performances on Ready Take One have been culled from seven sessions held in 1967, 1969 and 1971 in locales including New York City and Chicago.  The pianist was joined by musicians as follows: drums (Jimmie Smith, Joe Cocuzzo), bass (Earnest McCarty, Jr., Ike Isaacs, George Duvivier, Larry Gales) and percussion (Jose Mangual).  Among the tracks are six previously unreleased Garner compositions (“High Wire,” “Wild Music,” “Back to You,” “Chase Me,” “Latin Digs” and “Down Wylie Avenue”) and a host of standards ranging from Duke Ellington’s “Caravan” and “Satin Doll” to Cole Porter’s “Night and Day” and Garner’s own immortal “Misty.”  Garner also tackles Bobby Hebb’s pop hit “Sunny,” “Stella by Starlight” and more.

The release also includes snippets of conversation between Garner and producer-manager Martha Glaser.  Album producer Geri Allen notes in the press release that Glaser was “a kind of fifth member of the band” and “would support Erroll Garner in the moment of the creative act.”  On June 15, 2015, Glaser’s estate announced the formation of the Erroll Garner Jazz Project, an archival celebration of Garner’s remarkable legacy. The Erroll Garner Archive was donated to the University of Pittsburgh.

All tracks on Ready Take One have been newly restored after nearly 50 years on acetate.  You can hear one of those cuts for yourself, as “Wild Music” is streaming now at The New York Times.  Ready Take One will initially be available on CD and DD, with a vinyl pressing to follow.

You can pre-order this exciting new collection, due on September 30 from Legacy in conjunction with Octave Music Licensing, at the links below!

Erroll Garner, Ready Take One (Legacy/Octave, 2016) (Amazon U.S. / Amazon U.K. / Amazon Canada)

1. High Wire
  2. I Want To Be Happy
  3. I’m Confessin’ (That I Love You)
  4. Sunny
  5. Wild Music
  6. Caravan
  7. Back To You
  8. Night And Day
  9. Chase Me
  10. Satin Doll
  11. Latin Digs
  12. Stella By Starlight
  13. Down Wylie Avenue
  14. Misty

13 hours ago, thirdtry said:

Great News!  I really hope this opens up an opportunity for even more unreleased Garner in the near future.  

Like: there was a CD reissue boom going on from 1995 to 2005 ... a dozen years past it, the ones owning rights to Erroll Garner finally get on it, too?

And yet the liners to the Complete Concert by the Sea stressed how well Garner's affairs had (and have! ha!) always been handled ...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This is one funass record! Don't know how many times I'll listen to it, or need to listen to it, hell how many times did Errol need to play everything the same way, right? But jeesus, this guy comes off like the missing in plain view in front of your face missing link between Earl Hines & Monk, I mean, fuck I've got this playing in the car & LOL-ing the whole way, hell yeah!