George Russell

fasstrack

On August 15, 2016 at 7:43 PM, fasstrack said:

This is wonderful: has an interview with Russell, and performances of Concerto for Billy the Kid and Stratusphunk. Starring Art Farmer, Bill Evans, Jimmy Cleveland, Barry Galbraith, etc.

Indeed.  Outerview was my intro to his music and I became a fan the day I heard it.  Jazz In the Space Age is my favorite but they are all worthy.  He frequntly used musicians I wasn't familiar with but I never worried as he always seemed to find people capable of playing his music which is all that really mattered.  Thanks for posting this clip Fasstrack.  Nice find.  I sometimes struggle to follow some of his concepts but the music is easy to get.

14 hours ago, six string said:

I sometimes struggle to follow some of his concepts but the music is easy to get.

I never got into the Lydian Chromatic stuff myself. Perhaps I should.

Funny thing is: once he says what he must compositionally the improvising is almost always on standard changes. Like Concerto for Billy the Kid is I'll Remember April. Ezzthetic is straight up Love For Sale, even the head...

3 hours ago, fasstrack said:

I never got into the Lydian Chromatic stuff myself. Perhaps I should.

Funny thing is: once he says what he must compositionally the improvising is almost always on standard changes. Like Concerto for Billy the Kid is I'll Remember April. Ezzthetic is straight up Love For Sale, even the head...

Interesting. Even as a non-musician, I can recognize those changes. Tristano was another avant-garde musician who stayed with standard changes, wasn't he?

7 hours ago, BillF said:

Interesting. Even as a non-musician, I can recognize those changes. Tristano was another avant-garde musician who stayed with standard changes, wasn't he?

I don't know how 'avant-garde' he was. He recorded Intuition in the late '40s, which was pretty 'out' for that time. And, yes, the Tristano guys played the changes, with their own heads on the tunes...