• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I actually considered trying to create a spontaneous post-film discussion when it was shown at the National Gallery of Art in February, but they were showing another film after. Sort of Chewy's idea in reverse :)

45 years later, the wounds have not healed, not that they really should. Wayne Shorter's contributions were my favorite part of the film. I read it as Wayne telling us to remember Lee Morgan the man, not the murder victim.

Bertrand.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I watched this on Netflix. It's a very depressing movie. I once read that there were reports that Morgan had died right before he cut "Lee Way" in 1960. Now I know why those reports were circulating. It lays out Lee's career trajectory in a way that really forces you to acknowledge that if it wasn't for Helen, Lee would have been dead by then. I mean, really, the guy was pawning his overcoat and shoes to buy drugs. It looks like she saved him from an almost certain death.

And then she killed him, as reported by witnesses, pretty much by accident. The saddest part was that if it wasn't for a blizzard that night, Lee might have lived. It took an hour for the ambulance to get there and he bled out. A sad combination of circumstances.

One thing that surprised me most was that by the end of the movie, my opinion of Helen had changed dramatically. She was almost as tragic a figure as Lee. It's because of her that we have all that great Lee Morgan music recorded after 1960 and why we have none after 1972. I used to wonder why she got off so lightly for murdering Morgan and now I almost wonder why she was arrested at all. As I said, very depressing.

We just found out that we'll be off Internet-by-Satellite in a few short weeks and that means I'll be able to stream this without worry about eating up too much of my data plan. Definitely looking forward to seeing this, even if it is as depressing as Kevin says.