Caught it on Netflix. No massive revelations to be honest but really enjoyed it. Thoughful contributions from Maupin, Ridley, Harper, Shorter etc. Amazing how clearly Helen Morgan's character came across with just that single interview tape and all in all, extremely atmospheric.

As previously mentioned, the beautifully rendered Francis Wolff photos were the star of the film.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw it on Netflix a couple of weeks ago, and I'm giving it thumps up. I agree with most of what others above have said, and I thought it took a refreshingly objective look at the circumstances surrounding his demise. Hearing the story from the perspective of the musicians and those who knew him is vastly superior than to have to listen to an endless stream of critics.

The use of his music underneath was effective throughout, and the film clips were a treat.  

19 hours ago, Stereojack said:

I saw it on Netflix a couple of weeks ago, and I'm giving it thumps up. I agree with most of what others above have said, and I thought it took a refreshingly objective look at the circumstances surrounding his demise. Hearing the story from the perspective of the musicians and those who knew him is vastly superior than to have to listen to an endless stream of critics.

The use of his music underneath was effective throughout, and the film clips were a treat.  

Agreed.

• 2 weeks later...

I also just watched it on Netflix. Pretty good for all the reasons mentioned above..

They could've made the film a lot shorter by not using the endless snowy streets and cloudy skies footage. We all get it, he died on a snowy night, and the sky were gray.

I am more than surprised that she only did, what, 3 or 4 years time for murder that was clearly premeditated. 

Edited by Dmitry

2 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Thinking of the law as it stands here in the UK, I think she would have got manslaughter for that offence as there was clearly no advance plan of intent.

I am speculating that the gun she used was not registered to her. New York City gun ownership laws are pretty brutal, and virtually noone can legally own a handgun, aside from the chosen few. If that's the case, she brought an illegal concealed deadly weapon to the scene. Plus, he was no threat to her, there was no struggle. Imho, that's murder. But I'm no lawyer.

There are people around who have said that Lee was getting all attitudinal around Helen, just blatantly disrespecting her and flaunting his younger girlfriend, taunting her about that shit. People would say Lee, that's not right, this woman saved your ass and has been better to you than you been to yourself, but Lee was all fuck that old bitch. So it's not like Helen Morgan just wigged out all at once. These were passionate people in general and you know, affairs of the heart...what was it Al Green said...oh yeah, love can make you do wrong. Conventional wisdom says that you play with fire, you gonna get burned. I think that both Al Green and conventional wisdom tell the truth.

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/homicide-murder-manslaughter-32637-2.html

Voluntary Manslaughter

This is often called a "heat of passion" crime. Voluntary manslaughter occurs when a person:

• is strongly provoked (under circumstances that could similarly provoke a reasonable person) and
  • kills in the heat of passion aroused by that provocation.

For “heat of passion” to exist, the person must not have had sufficient time to “cool off” from the provocation. That the killing isn’t considered first or second degree murder is a concession to human weakness. Killers who act in the heat of passion may kill intentionally, but the emotional context is a mitigating factor that reduces their moral blameworthiness.

The classic example of voluntary manslaughter involves a husband who comes home unexpectedly to find his wife committing adultery. If the sight of the affair provokes the husband into such a heat of passion that he kills the paramour right then and there, a judge or jury might very well consider the killing to be voluntary manslaughter.

I'm LOL-ing at how the "classic example" is a man catching his wife. Pretty sure that there's more than enough of the other way around to go all the way around.

• 1 month later...
On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 1:18 PM, rdavenport said:

I just watched this on Netflix today. As others have mentioned, the scene where Larry Ridley talked about meeting Helen after she was released from jail was very powerful. I'm a sucker for redemption / compassion stories. 

I too was deeply shocked that there was ever any compassion shown for Helen, by anyone who knew Lee (least of all those who knew him well, worked with him etc...)

I'm not suggesting that such compassion should never have been offered -- but, rather, I'm simply astounded that people exist with that kind of compassion.  Honestly, I about fell out of my chair when I saw Ridley's comments there towards the very end.

Ridley's comments there really had a huge impact on my experience of the film, and the complexity around the events of Lee's life (and death) -- something I could have never imagined going into the film.  I'm not sure I could muster that kind of compassion, or understanding for someone -- but I did find myself admiring Ridley at that point, for apparently having that capacity (at least to some extent).

Another thought; concerning the scene where Wayne Shorter is looking at photos of himself looking at Morgan's bandaged head.

It appeared to me that Shorter hadn't seen those pictures before, or at least for many years. When he looks closely at the photo and says something along the lines of "what were you doing man?", I had a sense that he'd almost traveled back in time for a moment or two. 

Edited by rdavenport

7 hours ago, JSngry said:

I get the sense that Wayne is always time-traveling. Seriously.

I think he might have been both times I met him backstage after concerts (just for a quick autograph).

Not in any way "out of it", but he definitely sees the world in his own way. In fact, he might be extra "with it" - maybe practically all time.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/28/2017 at 3:09 PM, Stereojack said:

I thought it took a refreshingly objective look at the circumstances surrounding his demise. Hearing the story from the perspective of the musicians and those who knew him is vastly superior than to have to listen to an endless stream of critics.

Agreed. In this respect, the Morgan documentary is considerably stronger than the contemporaneous Coltrane documentary, where it seemed that the director's hand in shaping the narrative was the real (while unintended) star of the documentary. Collin's work is much less invasive; the effect is that he draws a viewer in because they're not being demonstrably conditioned as to how to think. (I can't help but think that Coltrane would have been really uncomfortable had he seen the documentary made in his name.)

I did get somewhat tired of Collin's use of Search for The New Land. That said, it was refreshing, though in an odd way, that there was no mention whatsoever of The Sidewinder. The record cover appeared for a split-second, but that was it. I would like to have seen a contemporary trumpet player interviewed — say, Charles Tolliver — and hear impressions of Morgan from a trumpet player's perspective.

It'll be interesting to see if Collin makes more documentaries on jazz musicians. I hope he does.

Have you had a chance to see his film on Albert Ayler?

I had coffee with Kasper Collin a couple of weeks ago.  They are doing some screenings in NY & LA to see if they can get it on the Oscar documentary short list (15 finalists, from which the 5 nominees are selected). 

14 hours ago, Adam said:

Have you had a chance to see his film on Albert Ayler?

I had coffee with Kasper Collin a couple of weeks ago.  They are doing some screenings in NY & LA to see if they can get it on the Oscar documentary short list (15 finalists, from which the 5 nominees are selected). 

Yes, I've seen it — thought it was excellent, especially given the limited source material that Collin had to work with. The contributions from Donald Ayler, Sunny Murray, and (briefly) Gary Peacock were especially engaging.

It'd be great if Collin could be an Oscar nominee, if only to generate more enthusiasm for his next project, whatever that might be. I'd like to see him put together something on Steve Lacy.

Collin seems to avoid interviewing people who didn't have a direct (working, personal) relationship with the subject of the film — very refreshing. In this way, there are fewer Bill Clinton and Cornel West moments (which, in my opinion, helped the Coltrane documentary very, very little).

On 11/26/2017 at 10:40 AM, Late said:

Agreed. In this respect, the Morgan documentary is considerably stronger than the contemporaneous Coltrane documentary, where it seemed that the director's hand in shaping the narrative was the real (while unintended) star of the documentary. Collin's work is much less invasive; the effect is that he draws a viewer in because they're not being demonstrably conditioned as to how to think. (I can't help but think that Coltrane would have been really uncomfortable had he seen the documentary made in his name.)

I did get somewhat tired of Collin's use of Search for The New Land. That said, it was refreshing, though in an odd way, that there was no mention whatsoever of The Sidewinder. The record cover appeared for a split-second, but that was it. I would like to have seen a contemporary trumpet player interviewed — say, Charles Tolliver — and hear impressions of Morgan from a trumpet player's perspective.

It'll be interesting to see if Collin makes more documentaries on jazz musicians. I hope he does.

A Lee Morgan movie with nary a mention of the Sidewinder strikes me as strange, if not downright dishonest - maybe even more so than avoiding how he died....

2 hours ago, danasgoodstuff said:

A Lee Morgan movie with nary a mention of the Sidewinder strikes me as strange, if not downright dishonest - maybe even more so than avoiding how he died....

I don't think the omission was intentional, but rather simply not part of the film's focus (i.e. his relationship with Helen). But who knows? I kept waiting for mention of the album, and perhaps a clip of the car ad that the title track was used for in the day. To Blue Note fans, The Sidewinder is generally seen as a pivotal album (musically and financially), but the film didn't linger too long on Blue Note itself — though Wolff's photos, as mentioned above, were a gorgeous addition; many of them I'd never seen. I particularly liked the outdoor photo of the Cliff Jordan session with the whole ensemble + Alfred Lion.

4 hours ago, danasgoodstuff said:

You're probably right but I was sort of happy that I didn't have to listen to  The Sidewinder  for the millionth time. 

• 4 weeks later...

Still haven't seen this film, but it will apparently soon appear on TV over here.

Not sure if this is really good news, but according to an interview with Casper Collin (in Swedish only; at least I haven't found any translation of that interview) Morgan's life will now be the subject of a full-fledged "Hollywood" biopic. He will apparently not be the director but wasn't allowed to elaborate.

Edited by Daniel A

On 12/23/2017 at 0:26 PM, Daniel A said:

Still haven't seen this film, but it will apparently soon appear on TV over here.

Not sure if this is really good news, but according to an interview with Casper Collin (in Swedish only; at least I haven't foBet nd any translation of that interview) Morgan's life will now be the subject of a full-fledged "Hollywood" biopic. He will apparently not be the director but wasn't allowed to elaborate.

Bet that one will mention "The Sidewinder"  (and the Chrysler commercial).