Mole Jazz

JohnS

At the end of last year there was a topic on London's Mole Jazz record shop. Tried to find the old topic but no luck.

I'd like to ask shop regulars if things were looking up there now or if it still seems to be in decline.

I did hear from a friend that on a recent visit they declined to take anything in px.

I was in there a couple of weeks ago during a trip to the Smoke. There was about a quarter of the usual 2nd hand vinyl, but the chap at the counter was discussing potential exchanges with a customer, though refusing most of what he had to offer (didn't want any Basie at all).

(For the record, I made one purchase - Ellington's Masterpieces on vinyl for £1 - result!)

• 2 months later...

The last time I was in the store the guy at the counter confirmed that they 'would be moving to alternative space in the Kings Cross area', with target date of end of May. The rent increases on Grays Inn Road seem to have been the straw that broke the camel's back. Certainly the CDs and vinyl stock looked to be heavily depleted on that visit (and that was at least 2 months ago). I hope they are able to relocate OK but the omens didn't seem to be good.

Thanks Philip, just read it in Jazzwise too.  Hope it happens but the way the shop has been run down lately is not a good omen in my opinion.

Meanwhile Rays is thriving - at least there is a lot of good stock and it looks like its thriving...

Mole's decline seems ominous. There was so little stock last time I went that I would hesitate to go out of my way to get there in future. There hasn't been an auction for some time and the mail order list has vanished.

Edited by David Ayers

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Philip, just read it in Jazzwise too.  Hope it happens but the way the shop has been run down lately is not a good omen in my opinion.

Meanwhile Rays is thriving - at least there is a lot of good stock and it looks like its thriving...

Mole's decline seems ominous. There was so little stock last time I went that I would hesitate to go out of my way to get there in future. There hasn't been an auction for some time and the mail order list has vanished.

I went to the new store today. Wasn't worth the trouble. Small stock of not-very-desirable LPs and a very small selection of-mostly second hand-CDs. Stick to Ray's at Foyles is my recommendation.

Yes, there's a few rows of second-hand Lps, including a 'Rare as Hen's Teeth' section. The latter can sometimes throw up the odd gem or two. There's a good new vinyl section next to it and to the right also a second hand CD section.

The best sighting ever in the 'Hen's Teeth' section there on the visits I have made was a Debut 10" Hazel Scott. That one lived up to its name.

Honest Jon's  was my fave in the capital during the 80's...

Honest Jon's is still up there in Portobello Road, well worth a trip and the staff are pretty good too - both helpful and knowledgeable. Always good music playing in that store. I remember well the Camden Town Honest Jons of the late 70s/early 80s, when I lived just down the road. That place was always stocked with Sun Ra, Blue Note imports etc. An Alladin's cave. Quite recently I passed by for the first time in decades - the store was still open (just) but under another name, it had long since ceased to be an 'Honest Jons'. The whole area had also changed enormously from my days of yore - much more touristy now and WAY more pricey.

The LP racks were still 'in situ' but there was hardly any stock at all and they were selling up - I think the store will become another Camden tourist outlet. Incredible that after such an absence I was able to call in litterally just before it ceased to be. A somewhat sad occasion - anyway they did have a cheap Sonny Fortune 'Awakening' on A&M Horizon in the racks so I guess that was to be my loyalty gift !

Edited by sidewinder

• 2 weeks later...