What are your favorite jazz bossa nova albums?

joshuakennedy

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, fasstrack said:

Thanks, I'll check out that Cannonball album. Looks promising. I actually just checked out that Elis & Tom album from the library a few days ago, but haven't gotten around to listening to it much yet. 

Edited by joshuakennedy

and the two cuts Ike Q did with Grant Green doing bossa were good too (bonus tracks on Latin Bit which is more mambo or something else). Charlie Rouse's Bossa Nova Bachanal is less of a fav, but it's ok. The Zoot Sims bossa album is overarranged bandwagon hopping, but an interesting comparison to Getz nonetheless.  The Hawkins is kinda oil and water, or is it oil and vinegar, inanycase hearing him sambasize I'm Looking Over a 4 Leaf Clover is amusing.

4 hours ago, joshuakennedy said:

Listening now! Very enjoyable. 

String arrangements by her then-husband, Casar Mariano...

Jazz musicians play Brasilian music with an American accent (understandably), just as Brasilian musicians in most cases play jazz with an accent.

If you haven't seen this, it's a clip of Tom Jobim teaching Gerry Mulligan (on clarinet) how to correctly phrase One Note Samba. From and old CBS show called Eyewitness...

Edited by fasstrack

1 hour ago, danasgoodstuff said:

and the two cuts Ike Q did with Grant Green doing bossa were good too (bonus tracks on Latin Bit which is more mambo or something else). Charlie Rouse's Bossa Nova Bachanal is less of a fav, but it's ok. The Zoot Sims bossa album is overarranged bandwagon hopping, but an interesting comparison to Getz nonetheless.  The Hawkins is kinda oil and water, or is it oil and vinegar, inanycase hearing him sambasize I'm Looking Over a 4 Leaf Clover is amusing.

Good call. I forgot all about Zoot Sims. I guess I've had more exposure to bossa nova than I remembered. 

5 hours ago, joshuakennedy said:

Listening now! Very enjoyable. 

String arrangements by her then-husband, Casar Mariano...

Jazz musicians play Brasilian music with an American accent (understandably), just as Brasilian musicians in most cases play jazz with an accent...

joshuakennedy said: I can't believe AllMusic gave it a 4/10 (quote function doesn't work).

Screw them. What do they know? I wonder who writes that stuff, anyway...

1 hour ago, paul secor said:

1 hour ago, Bluesnik said:

Yes, I would also recommend Joao Gilberto. He was kind of like the beginning of everything.

For sure. I love his stuff with Stan Getz but as far as I can recall I haven't heard anything else of his before. I'm listening to Chega de Saudade now and it sounds right up my alley. 

Edited by joshuakennedy