What are your favorite jazz bossa nova albums?

joshuakennedy

3 hours ago, tartine78 said:

I agree he's a great musician, but I really don't like his late/singing output as much as his early compositions. But maybe I'll like some day...we'll see.

We have (slightly) different tastes, but that's life !

A great Brazilian classic, although I have a hard time classifying it as "bossa nova". Many songs and arrangements are more typical of MPB (Brazilian pop)

My personal choice for "bossa nova" by a female singer would be Nara Leão (the album "Dez anos depois" is highly recommended, it covers the whole "bossa nova" songbook) Listen to her rendition of "Por toda a minha vida" and compare with Elis...

Thanks for the tip. 

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree with tartine78 about Baden Powell. I am no expert but along with his recommendations I am partial to this album Samba Triste on French label Accord.

https://www.music-bazaar.com/spanish-music/album/727281/Samba-Triste/

See how you like THIS album's version of Canto de Ossanha. My favorite!

Samba-Triste-2-picture.jpg

Edited by Neal Pomea

21 hours ago, Neal Pomea said:

Agree with tartine78 about Baden Powell. I am no expert but along with his recommendations I am partial to this album Samba Triste on French label Accord.

https://www.music-bazaar.com/spanish-music/album/727281/Samba-Triste/

See how you like THIS album's version of Canto de Ossanha. My favorite!

Samba-Triste-2-picture.jpg

Nice version, I didn't know it (but there are more than a dozen out there, so not a big surprise...)

The most famous one is sung by Quarteto em Cy and I have another one which I like a lot on a "best of" where a femal singer vocalizes.

8 hours ago, Neal Pomea said:

Is this a Washington Senators cap from the 1950s? Blue cap, red W with white border.

Nope!  The '50s cap was blue with the red "W."  The W's white border was created by the expansion team in '61.

The W was changed to the script in use today I think in '67.  And I'm going to say that the cap was changed to red in '69.  Anybody have a better memory than mine?

3 hours ago, GA Russell said:

The W was changed to the script in use today I think in '67.  And I'm going to say that the cap was changed to red in '69.  Anybody have a better memory than mine?

http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.org/dressed_to_the_nines/uniforms.asp?league=AL&city=Washington&lowYear=1960&highYear=1970&sort=year&increment=9

1963 & 1968, it appears.

4 hours ago, GA Russell said:

Nope!  The '50s cap was blue with the red "W."  The W's white border was created by the expansion team in '61.

Thanks! I am in the minority, at least where DC baseball is discussed in this area. I vehemently dislike the curly W that the team adopted for today. Now that I know how little time it was in use with the woeful expansion Senators who split town and became the Texas Rangers, it makes even less sense that it was adopted for today's team, to me! I wish it were an interlocking DC, actually. For our beloved Columbian District! YMMV.

$_1.JPG

Edited by Neal Pomea

16 hours ago, Neal Pomea said:

tartine78, is this the version you recommend? I would have PMd you but I think others in the discussion might be interested too. Where would I find this version of Canto de Ossanha I would love to hear?

https://www.amazon.com/Quarteto-Em-Cy/dp/B000RY42V2

The whole afro-sambas were recorded entirely twice: the first time in 1966 with Quarteto em Cy and Vinicius de Moraes, and a second time in 1990 with Quarteto em Cy (again)

I suspect however that there are much more versions of certain songs out there (Baden Powell has released many albums both in France and Brazil with re-issues and new covers...) If you simply look at the track length of Canto de Ossanha/Xango on various discs, you'll be surprised...

To come back to the afro-sambas, both versions are recommendable (the first one has more spiritual power but is less "perfect" in terms of singing and recording techniques) From a personnal point of view, I find the latest version a bit tiresome to listen to because of the Quarteto em Cy vocals which I find too present and too "bel canto" for the genre (those songs are religious chants celbrating the Brazilian deities of African origin, it is no opera !)

In the end, I almost never listen to the entire set but an occasional song or two. Some of them have been recorded a third (fourth, fifth...etc.) time such as Canto de Xango (which I have in a vocalized version which I like very much, in fact I made a mistake in my previous post thinking it was Canto de Ossanha...) In fact for this song, I can list 4 different studio versions: the 1966 afro-sambas version (sung by BP, VdM, QeC), the "Tristeza on Guitar" version (no vocals, flute and guitar, very nice), the version from the French album "le Coeur de Baden Powell" (vocalized by PB and a female singer) and finally the second afro-sambas version from 1990 !

I think this is getting a bit off the original scope, but for those here who enjoy a lot non-bossa nova Brazilian guitar playing, I strongly recommend putting your hands on "choro" music.

"Choro" is the traditional music from Rio, sort of the ancestor of samba. It is more quiet than samba and can require quite virtuoso playing....its golden age was in the twenties to forties, with composers such as Jacob do Bandolim, Benedito Lacerda and the most famous of all Pixinguinha.

The movie soundatrack from the movie Brasileirinho (2005) or the film itself (it is a documentary about "choro") is an excellent starting point.

I only mention this because Baden Powell is originally a "choro" guitar player (and played this genre throughout his life)

1 hour ago, Neal Pomea said:

Yes, I love BOTH of those releases of Afro-Sambas, 66 and 90! Love Tristeza on Guitar too! It's got more "toughness" to it than some of the other albums. I am going to try to find "le Couer de Baden Powell" now. Thanks for the post.

Good luck finding it, I think it is out of print...

The "best of" his French years of recording however is easy to find ("O universo musical de Baden Powell', 2 CD set)

On 6/2/2017 at 7:10 AM, tartine78 said:

The "best of" his French years of recording however is easy to find ("O universo musical de Baden Powell', 2 CD set)

Enjoying this one very much! Quick turnaround at Amazon. Thanks for the recommendation. Might comment again upon further listenings.