TV host John McLaughlin, RIP

I remember recently scrolling through the channels and seeing that "The McLaughlin Group" was still on the air. With some of the same panelists although obviously much older looking. Amazing how long that show aired. 2 panelists representing the left and 2 from the right discussing politics with McLaughlin as the moderator. I always enjoyed that show. R.I.P. John.

On election night 1992 I was in Washington working on "Dave". Some of the cast and crew ended up traveling from gathering to gathering as the results came in: The Democratic  National headquarters, some group with  Gloria Steinhem  and finally at   McLaughlin's apartment where we were when the first announcement was made that Bill Clinton had won.  McLaughlin, who was a staunch conservative Republican, immediately  got to his feet and proposed a toast to the new President of the United States. I didn't agree with most of his views but remember thinking  that showed a lot of  class. 

Edited by medjuck

On 8/18/2016 at 0:13 PM, fasstrack said:

Sorry to hear  John McLaughlin passed away. He didn't look too well the last time I saw his show.

I guess now Pat Buchanan will have to get a job...

:lol:

I haven't seen it in years, but I used to watch the show regularly.  Let's see it was two hard rightwingers against a right leaning-moderate and Elanor Cliff, right?

8 hours ago, Jazzmoose said:

:lol:

I haven't seen it in years, but I used to watch the show regularly.  Let's see it was two hard rightwingers against a right leaning-moderate and Elanor Cliff, right?

Clearly getting a tad senile there Mark. Cliff and Jack Germon-arando were pretty hard-to-the-port side.

On August 17, 2016 at 7:16 PM, StarThrower said:

Couldn't stand the guy. I'm just glad it wasn't Mahavishnu John. Why start a thread about some TV pundit on a jazz forum? Especially when you know it's going cause confusion because of the identical names.

Probably because most of us are capable of walking and chewing gum at the same time. That's the reason why we have a miscellaneous sub forum here. 

2 hours ago, Scott Dolan said:

Probably because most of us are capable of walking and chewing gum at the same time. That's the reason why we have a miscellaneous sub forum here. 

Funny, aren't we? These new posts show up on the Topics side bar of the homepage without sub forum designation. It just read John McLaughlin RIP, so what would you think if you saw that? Can you chew gum get my point at the same time?

I'm glad the topic title was changed - especially considering that this is a music forum.
The good thing that I could say about McLaughlin is that he showed up for his show regularly,
so he was pretty dedicated to it, but the absurd take on the non-comedic panel format, 
his many, many ridiculous ideas (Warren G. Harding was our first black president?) and
his sexual advances toward women colleagues places him in the area of political discussion
that I would not want to be a part of. Also, this guy is even more meaningless to our friends 
here who are not from the US.

9 hours ago, StarThrower said:

Funny, aren't we? These new posts show up on the Topics side bar of the homepage without sub forum designation. It just read John McLaughlin RIP, so what would you think if you saw that? Can you chew gum get my point at the same time?

That you're too lazy to to look at the forum once you click on a link. Then choose to whine about it as though it's the fault of others? Yes, you've made that perfectly clear. 

17 hours ago, Scott Dolan said:

That you're too lazy to to look at the forum once you click on a link. Then choose to whine about it as though it's the fault of others? Yes, you've made that perfectly clear. 

You obviously didn't get my point even if you weren't chewing gum at the same time. I'm just assuming you weren't, the same way you're assuming I'm lazy. Have a nice day!

15 hours ago, JSngry said:

C'mon guys, a great jazz musician has died and taken many great years of television to the grave with him as a result. Show some respect, perhaps even some grif.

That's interesting. What if John McLaughlin was a fan of John McLaughlin, but John McLaughlin wasn't a fan of John McLaughlin? Awkward. What if Jon McLaughlin and John Mclaughlin were really John McLaughlin?! You know, like a Clark Kent/Superman kinda deal. Well, only they went by the same name, I guess. So there's a difference...