Machine Gun Jimi Hendrix The Fillmore East 12/31/1969 (FIRST SHOW) Sony 2016

l p

Original Release Date: September 30, 2016
Number of Discs: 1
Label: Sony Legacy

Machine Gun - Jimi Hendrix The Fillmore East 12/31/1969 (FIRST SHOW)

1. Power of Soul
  2. Lover Man
  3. Hear My Train a Comin'
  4. Changes
  5. Izabella
  6. Machine Gun
  7. Stop
  8. Ezy Ryder
  9. Bleeding Heart
  10. Earth Blues
  11. Burning Desire

https://www.amazon.com/Machine-Jimi-Hendrix-Fillmore-FIRST/dp/B01JZXX6LM

the first 5 songs have been available on soundboard. 6-end have been available only on an audience recording.

81dogL1fSLL._SY355_.jpg

• 1 month later...

Knew this was in the works, but had lost track of the release date. Found myself in Best Buy on Sat, looking for something else, and stumbled on a copy on sale for $9.99.

Hell of a recording!! - every bit as good as all the other BOG material released from these four concerts.

Well worth picking up!

Listened to most of it. Great, as expected.
I find myself drawn to the Band of Gypsys more than I ever thought I would. It's really too bad that it didn't work out and they didn't record more material. I've said this before, but Dagger Records' "Baggy's Rehearsal Sessions" is one of my favorite jamming albums.

Question for you Jimi-philes (Lon?): I thought I read somewhere that in this first show Jimi pulled out a lot of his theatrical bits and was not well focused. Between sets Bill Graham told him to 'cut the crap' and play. In the second set he basically stood in place and proceeded to play one of his best performances ever. Am I remembering that right?

I've heard that story, but I'm not sure that it had anything to do with this show. It seems this show he was dead serious from the git go, it's all great performances with better singing than usual and some killer guitar, a lot of the material was pretty new, this is a phenomenal show. It's possible that on the second night he did a more flamboyant first show and then a more focused second show. . . it's been a long time since I revisited the boots of these. These shows did have more of the familiar repertoire that I think would lead to the stage antics. I have mainly listened to the official two cd set the last five years or so. . . which is not all stellar (well non-stellar Jimi is still fantastic). I'll look to see what I can find out about Graham's statement.

Edit to add:

Researching on two forums it seems that "experts" think that either Bill Graham imagined this story or misremembered the actual show, applying it to these nights and not an earlier Fillmore appearance. No first set is sloppy and unfocused here. The second set of the first night may be the loosest. . . and Bill's story doesn't really apply to a second set.

Edited by jazzbo

Okay, more info.

Graham quote in this article:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/concerts-that-changed-rock-jimi-hendrix-and-the-band-of-gypsies-at-the-fillmore-east-new-york-19870604

"But even at the Fillmore East with the Band of Gypsys he sometimes found old habits hard to break. Graham says that Hendrix's first set on the second night was in fact a disappointing reversion to his showbiz stunts. When Hendrix asked him during intermission what he thought of the set, Graham was brutally frank.

"I said, 'You're Jimi Hendrix, and anything you do is taken as gospel because of who you are,'" says Graham. "'In the first show, you humped the guitar, you played it with your teeth, you stuck it behind your back. You just forgot to play.'" Stunned, Hendrix went back out onstage for the second show and played. The incandescent version of "Machine Gun" on the 1970 live LP Band of Gypsys was recorded during that show.

What doesn't make sense here is the order of shows he is talking about. He got confused with sequence. The way this would be true is if he were referring to the second show of the first night being flamboyant and then him taking him to task and Jimi returning the next night to a stand-still serious performance, as it is the first show of the second night that the "Machine Gun" mentioned was performed.

9 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Okay, more info.

Graham quote in this article:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/concerts-that-changed-rock-jimi-hendrix-and-the-band-of-gypsies-at-the-fillmore-east-new-york-19870604

"But even at the Fillmore East with the Band of Gypsys he sometimes found old habits hard to break. Graham says that Hendrix's first set on the second night was in fact a disappointing reversion to his showbiz stunts. When Hendrix asked him during intermission what he thought of the set, Graham was brutally frank.

"I said, 'You're Jimi Hendrix, and anything you do is taken as gospel because of who you are,'" says Graham. "'In the first show, you humped the guitar, you played it with your teeth, you stuck it behind your back. You just forgot to play.'" Stunned, Hendrix went back out onstage for the second show and played. The incandescent version of "Machine Gun" on the 1970 live LP Band of Gypsys was recorded during that show.

What doesn't make sense here is the order of shows he is talking about. He got confused with sequence. The way this would be true is if he were referring to the second show of the first night being flamboyant and then him taking him to task and Jimi returning the next night to a stand-still serious performance, as it is the first show of the second night that the "Machine Gun" mentioned was performed.

Well ............ now it's more confusing than ever! I'm starting to think that your first guess is the most probable (if it happened at all); that it was a different show altogether.

it's very simple. you've got graham telling us how great he is because he got jh to stop messing around and play a spectacular set. what graham didn't count on was that in the future, all the shows from the 2 nights would be released, at least in boogleg form, and his lie would be exposed. quite the visionary, since i'm sure he knew that all the shows were recorded.