Gotta Be Honest

JSngry

Jsngry, I've experienced this very same sensation over the past couple of years!  I sometimes walk to work holding my phone up to listen to music and definitely feel the old-school transistor vibe.  Last year I asked my dad if I could have one of our old transistor radios and sometimes listen to Cincinnati Reds games on it... will post a photo momentarily.  I loved transistor radios, listening to sports on them as well as music.

Oh, ball games were GREAT. That's one experience where whatever crackle and fade-iness there was added to the urgency of experiencing a game with no visual input at all, Deep emotional investment in something that could vanish at any time with no predictable return time. Once in a great while, it would be a critical situation, the ball would be hit and then the signal would fade out, and you're like oh SHIT what is happening???? and then it would fade back in to the roar of the crowd, although for what you weren't yet sure...whew!

It's just a different way of experiencing things, not better, not worse, just different. And the kick for me is in hearing things that would have NEVER been heard over a transistor radio back in the day (unless, of course, you homemade spliced it and diced it as mentioned above). It's what I can only describe as an experience merge, merging a past experience onto a current one.

Let me tell you what I DID hear on an AM radio, in real time - Revolution 9. WNOE AM in New Orleans played the entire White Album from start to finish on a Friday night either just before or just after its release. around 7PM Central time is when they started. That was one of those stations that came in stronger as the night went on, but very seldom came in "loud and clear" (and if you lived in the right place, sometimes AM WOULD be loud and clear). So, you know, in and out with the songs, mostly in, but hey, my first time hearing the record, I'm all young-teen awed, and then...WTF??????? couldn't tell if the radio had gone bad, the radio station, the record, just....WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS?????????

Different world.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Oh, ball games were GREAT. That's one experience where whatever crackle and fade-iness there was added to the urgency of experiencing a game with no visual input at all, Deep emotional investment in something that could vanish at any time with no predictable return time. Once in a great while, it would be a critical situation, the ball would be hit and then the signal would fade out, and you're like oh SHIT what is happening???? and then it would fade back in to the roar of the crowd, although for what you weren't yet sure...whew!

I used to love the Red Sox radio broadcast so much that I used to play the radio while watching the TV with sound turned off. The delay made it even more fun.

I used to do the same thing with the Celtics... there was nothing like hearing Johnny Most call a Celtics game.

3 hours ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

I used to love the Red Sox radio broadcast so much that I used to play the radio while watching the TV with sound turned off. The delay made it even more fun.

I used to do the same thing with the Celtics... there was nothing like hearing Johnny Most call a Celtics game.

Some folks here in Indiana do the same for IU basketball with radio announcer Don Fischer.  Here's his call of IU's 2011 win over #1 Kentucky--a moment that signaled that the program was once again a contender:   Don Fischer's call of IU buzzer-beater victory over Kentucky at Assembly Hall, Dec 2011

• 5 months later...
On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 10:45 AM, JSngry said:

Alive 'N Kickin' (and really, is that not the worst Tommy James imitation ever?).

On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 10:58 AM, Kevin Bresnahan said:

What are you talking about? Isn't that Tommy James? :)

Funny how James actually wrote "Tighter, Tighter" for Alive 'N Kickin' after he decided not to give them "Crystal Blue Persuasion" because he wanted to record that song himself.

Haven't heard it in years, but I liked "Tighter, Tighter" back in the day. Not sure what that says about me.

On 18.8.2016 at 7:25 PM, mikeweil said:

Southern Germany: Südwestrundfunk, which Joachim Ernst Berendt made big, and Bayerischer Rundfunk (Bavarian) - especially the latter played a lot more jazz than the average radio. No wonder you got that impression. The 1980s were the best time span for jazz in Germany, Travelling costs were not as high as today, so you had more people touring than later. Congratulate yourself you were there when it was the best ;)

During the first half of the 80s I lived in a place in Southwestern Germany near the Rhine that was at the coverage intersections between Südwestfunk, Süddeutscher Rundfunk, Westdeutscher Rundfunk (AM only) and Hessischer Rundfunk - and some French stations too (and AFN as well). There were evenings - particularly on workdays - when I had to work off a really busy listening schedule because one half-hour or one-hour music show would neatly segue into another one of interest on a different station (sometimes with 15-minute overlaps), and there even were days when I set up two radios - recording tunes from one radio via the built-in cassette recorder while listening to the other station on the other radio so as not to miss ANYTHING. Yes, those were the days ... :P

Edited by Big Beat Steve