Philladelphia, 4-days the weekend *after* Labor-Day: stuff to see, do, and hear?

My wife and I are finally headed up to Philly the weekend *after* Labor Day (Sept 9-12), and are wondering what all we should do, see, and hear?

She's been there a bunch (20+ years ago), when she lived in DC (she got up there 2-4 times a year, with a good friend of hers back then who was from Philly).

Me, on the other hand -- I have only ever been to Philly once, when I was about 12 years old, on a 5-hour layover with my Dad, when we were taking the train from the Midwest to DC.  We were in town just long enough to see the Liberty Bell, Ben Franklin's house and/or grave (or something like that), and maybe the Mint (though I don't really remember it).

So what all is "MUST SEE" ("must do") in Philly?  And anything interesting going on, music-wise, that weekend?  We're headed up on the train that Friday morning, and back again Monday evening.  The weekend AFTER Labor Day.

Also, is Sun Ra's house worth visiting?  Probably no, but thought I'd ask (just in case).  Some cursory on-line Googling just now seems to indicate Marshall Allen might still be living there (or was as recently as 10 or maybe 5 years ago?), and that there may be some sort of informal Sun Ra Museum that might(?) be available to the public (pretty sketchy and probably WAY out of date info, is my guess).  I would have to check my Saturn vinyl at home to be sure, but on-line the address just now came up as:  5626 Morton St, Philadelphia, PA 19144 (which I'm pretty sure I remember as being the address, come to think of it -- also from the backs of two or three pamphlets of Sun Ra poetry have at home, god only knows in which box under the bed, or somewhere).

Not getting my hopes up about the Ra house -- I'm sure there's probably not really anything to see, and getting to it could be a pain too (we're mostly going to be taking public transit, though we can also use Zipcar too).  Still, if it were easy to get to, and if there was anything actually to see there, I could be tempted.

Not the only time we're ever going to Philly, but what all should be on our list of things to consider?  Thanks!!

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I go to Philly 3-4 times per year (as you may remember from when we met in D.C. 2 years ago).  I'm sure some of the more local folk can offer more insight, but here are some touristy things I'd recommend for someone new to the city, that despite being touristy are still worth it:

* Independence Hall

* Liberty Bell

* Betsy Ross House

* Elfreth's Alley (oldest residential street in the U.S.)

* Christ Church (first Episcopal church in the U.S., many famous early attendees

* Ben Franklin's grave (at Christ Church Burial Ground, not adjacent to the church itself, but relatively close)

* the Rocky steps in front of the Museum of Art

* Reading Terminal Market (practically any kind of food imaginable is available there)

* President's House (well, the foundation ruins of it anyway), where Benedict Arnold and later the first two U.S. Presidents lived before the capitol moved to D.C., adjacent to the Liberty Bell building

Probably alot more that I'm not thinking of.

Doing a music search for jazz - the only thing I noticed was Kurt Rosenwinkel at Chris' Jazz Cafe on the 9th & 10th.  

Non jazz - both Adele and Bruce Springsteen are playing that Friday night, in adjacent venues (Wells Fargo Ctr and Citizen's Bank Ballpark), so that's gonna be a mess around that area.  Lumineers, Bruce Hornsby are also playing that night in other places.

Adele is also playing Saturday night.  Echo and the Bunnymen are playing at Union Transfer (I saw Beach House there back in March, cool club).  

Sunday night has Amos Lee, Widespread Panic in Philly.  ZZ Top & Gov't Mule up in Bethlehem. 

If you like art, I strongly recommend seeing the Philadelphia Museum of Art, which has a world-class collection.  Some think of it as an appendage to the Rocky Steps.  <_<

Also, nearby is the Barnes Foundation, which has a strange presentation with paintings hung on top of one another interspersed with decorative metalwork.  It has the more Mattise and Cezanne than anywhere in the world except for Paris.

Other museums nearby include the Franklin Institute and the Academy of Natural Sciences.

I found two other jazz concerts, both sponsored by Ars Nova Workshop (http://www.arsnovaworkshop.com/events).  Hope this helps.

• Friday, September 9, 2016 - 8:00pm
    MAX_06891.png

Room 21

Philadelphia Fringe Festival

The Barnes Foundation2025 Benjamin Franklin Parkway
    Philadelphia, PA Map
    Price: $10 General AdmissionBuy Tickets

Ars Nova Workshop and The Barnes Foundation are pleased to present “Room 21,” the opening night performance of the 2016 Philadelphia Fringe Festival, curated by Lee Tusman. This new musical performance piece by composer Jace Clayton, also known as DJ /rupture, is inspired by the diverse art and objects found in the Barnes collection.

• Sunday, September 11, 2016 - 8:00pm
    Patrick-Zimmerli-19small1.png
    Philadelphia Art Alliance251 S. 18th Street
    Philadelphia, PA Map
    Price: $20 General AdmissionBuy Tickets

Ars Nova Workshop is pleased to present the Patrick Zimmerli Quartet, performing the Philadelphia premiere of a new work for the saxophonist/composer with pianist Ethan Iverson, bassist Chris Tordini, and drummer John Hollenbeck.